Creating Coworking Space in Sugar Land TX

Hello all.
I’ve been a bit of a lurker on this forum for a year watching and reading the forum and questions and answers. It’s a really great group!
I am in the beginning stages of starting a coworking space in Sugar Land, TX. I am just now starting to formalize things with a website, FB page, and a community event. I’ve been talking it up this past year and all feedback has been positive. My intention is to do a formal survey and the community event to get a real sense of interest.
I am active in the community, Board Member at the Chamber, Meetups, and other networking groups so I plan to make a bigger splash with them by being more intentional about what I am doing.
I’ve been doing a lot of planning and have a historic house in the middle of the city that we are in contract to purchase. It is a block away from an new citycenter where Sugar Land is expanding shopping, office space, dining, etc. Here is the planned growth: http://communityimpact.com/houston/development-construction/2015/08/05/developer-unveils-renovation-plans-for-historic-imperial-sugar-refinery/. Since we are not urban, I needed a place that was convenient for anyone to get to but still be near an urban-type setting.
The space is small at 1,600 sq feet. My company (http://www.globalspex.com) will office out of the space while we build a community. It is a historic home with the trappings of that kind of space (2 BR, 2 Bath, kitchen). My plan is to tear down 2 walls to open it up and remove one of the bathrooms. There is an exterior garage that posed to be additional space. Parking is decent but could be improved.
My plan is to visit other local spaces in Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas. I’d like to spend time and tour their space. I’ve reached out but not had luck with responses. Hate to fill out their ‘Tour Requests’ since I won’t be a member but more of an intruder.
Couple of questions:

1. Can I ‘borrow’ this groups surveys and documents (with permission of course). Just hate to spin my wheels and create from scratch. I found a place with contracts that I’ll use and give to my lawyer. Someone had a great Google Coworking survey that I’d like to borrow, okay, well, steal.
  2. Is 1600sqft too small for coworking?
  3. Where can I get space planning for a small space?
    Any advice would be great. Mentoring? Even better.

Thank you all,
Christina

Hi Christina!
I can help you!

My first space was a tiny 1,000 ft2 of which maybe 500 of it was actual coworking space. I have loads and loads of experience laying out “tiny” coworking spaces. If you send me your floor plan or pics, I can give you some quick and dirty recommendations on furniture and layouts. Cohere is currently housed in what used to be group housing so our building is extra unique and home-like. Email me at fccoworking at gmail.com.

As for borrowing stuff: most everyone is keen to share just ask for permission.

Angel

···

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 10:35:37 AM UTC-6, hawk wrote:

Hello all.
I’ve been a bit of a lurker on this forum for a year watching and reading the forum and questions and answers. It’s a really great group!
I am in the beginning stages of starting a coworking space in Sugar Land, TX. I am just now starting to formalize things with a website, FB page, and a community event. I’ve been talking it up this past year and all feedback has been positive. My intention is to do a formal survey and the community event to get a real sense of interest.
I am active in the community, Board Member at the Chamber, Meetups, and other networking groups so I plan to make a bigger splash with them by being more intentional about what I am doing.
I’ve been doing a lot of planning and have a historic house in the middle of the city that we are in contract to purchase. It is a block away from an new citycenter where Sugar Land is expanding shopping, office space, dining, etc. Here is the planned growth: http://communityimpact.com/houston/development-construction/2015/08/05/developer-unveils-renovation-plans-for-historic-imperial-sugar-refinery/. Since we are not urban, I needed a place that was convenient for anyone to get to but still be near an urban-type setting.
The space is small at 1,600 sq feet. My company (http://www.globalspex.com) will office out of the space while we build a community. It is a historic home with the trappings of that kind of space (2 BR, 2 Bath, kitchen). My plan is to tear down 2 walls to open it up and remove one of the bathrooms. There is an exterior garage that posed to be additional space. Parking is decent but could be improved.
My plan is to visit other local spaces in Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas. I’d like to spend time and tour their space. I’ve reached out but not had luck with responses. Hate to fill out their ‘Tour Requests’ since I won’t be a member but more of an intruder.
Couple of questions:

1. Can I ‘borrow’ this groups surveys and documents (with permission of course). Just hate to spin my wheels and create from scratch. I found a place with contracts that I’ll use and give to my lawyer. Someone had a great Google Coworking survey that I’d like to borrow, okay, well, steal.
  2. Is 1600sqft too small for coworking?
  3. Where can I get space planning for a small space?
    Any advice would be great. Mentoring? Even better.

Thank you all,
Christina