Coworking Lease

Hi all,

This is such a great resource! Thank you!

I am working on opening a coworking space in northern Cincy.

I have been working hard on getting a great lease put together. I absolutely love the space. We are the landlords first coworking tenant. They are pretty excited about having us join. The problem is that they have a pretty standard lease and it includes a non-assignment clause. They agree it doesn’t fit. It states they have to approve any sublease agreements (my attorney says it could apply to our type of business). It also states that any sublease rent we get over the lease amount goes to the landlord. The landlord has asked my attorney to come up with a better clause.

Can any of you who have signed a lease for a coworking space share the terms you have laid out in your lease on this issue? I would think I need to include that I have sole discretion to sublease and assign. It may include a description of how we make money? Am I missing anything?

Thank you all for the great conversations we have on this group!

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

Create your own email signature

Hi Brian,

What is your concern regarding the “no assignment” clause?

Pat

···

On Jun 8, 2018, at 7:32 PM, Brian Burgett [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

I have been working hard on getting a great lease put together. I absolutely love the space. We are the landlords first coworking tenant. They are pretty excited about having us join. The problem is that they have a pretty standard lease and it includes a non-assignment clause. They agree it doesn’t fit. It states they have to approve any sublease agreements (my attorney says it could apply to our type of business). It also states that any sublease rent we get over the lease amount goes to the landlord. The landlord has asked my attorney to come up with a better clause.

Can any of you who have signed a lease for a coworking space share the terms you have laid out in your lease on this issue? I would think I need to include that I have sole discretion to sublease and assign. It may include a description of how we make money? Am I missing anything?

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Good morning,

What advise I can suggest is first you should have assignment rights, as a safety. However, you guy are missing the smaller time frame sentiment or picture. You have a lease, but those underneath you should not. Rather, since they are YOUR BUSINESS MODEL clients and “MEMBERS” you should award them with twelve (12) month license agreement-renewable of course.

Hear is the logic and also I do this with my bldg and coworking members & it works well. Do as such you then skip having to pay your LL extra rent and constantly have to approve sublet that is crazy. Which is also direct conflict of interest to your model amd inital lease usage. You can call me direct I am also a NYC commercial broker so I know some things.

Thank you, Morgan.

Never set a goal without attaching a timeline to it. To breathe life into a goal you must attach a precise deadline to it." - Robin S. Sharma

m. 917.504.9180 | f. 917.591.1917 | bbm.7EF58010

···

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 11:26 AM Pat Manley [email protected] wrote:

Hi Brian,

What is your concern regarding the “no assignment” clause?

Pat

Patrick W. Manley, RA, AIAA, ALA
Manley Architecture Group/MAG
3820 North High Street Columbus, Ohio 43214
Ph: (614) 545-1147
Cell: (614) 496-9096
Association of Licensed Architects (ALA)
www.manleyarchitects.us
Past President, Ohio Chapter of the Association of Licensed Architects and ALA National Board of Directors

On Jun 8, 2018, at 7:32 PM, Brian Burgett [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Hi Brian
if I may be so bold, sounds like you are not working with a commercial real estate broker. They would be able to do the first phase of this language for you in the negotiation as this is material to the business. This can then be viewed by your attorney when it reaches the lease document stage- a few dollars spent in advance on this saves you heartache (and money) in the future. So, this may be for your next location - as you expand! :slight_smile:

I don’t want to impinge on progress already made. You may already know this. The broker gets paid by the landlord and works for you and protects YOUR interests. The commission should already be “baked” into your rental rate, so don’t let the landlord hedge on the rental rate since a commission would be due. It also creates a buffer for you - you stay on good terms with the LL and your broker is the “bad cop”. It may be a good time to ask your LL if they’ve worked with brokers before. Not to nix the deal, just as a reference point.

If you are doing this on your own, great.

Some language that may be useful:

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

Tenant will have the right to assign and/or
sublet to a subsidiary, related or successor company without Landlord
approval. Tenant will also have the
right to assign and/or sublet to an unrelated company with Landlord consent,
which shall not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. Landlord will have 15 days from the time of
notice to provide their response to Tenant’s requested assignment and/or
sublease consent. Tenant will retain
all sublease profits (if any).

Hope all of this is helpful and best of luck

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

···

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:23:05 PM UTC-5, Brian Burgett wrote:

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

Agreed, I am a commercial broker and not just a partner in the coworking biz, and gave him per his email the exact information he nees for the higher sentiment of his scenario and things to do as a tenant vs an operator biz-owner.

See my email from a few days ago, but the landlord either knows of this infringement or is using the sublet as a known right. However, you “Coworking Owner” should not be subletting license agreement baby.

···

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Wendy S. [email protected] wrote:

Hi Brian
if I may be so bold, sounds like you are not working with a commercial real estate broker. They would be able to do the first phase of this language for you in the negotiation as this is material to the business. This can then be viewed by your attorney when it reaches the lease document stage- a few dollars spent in advance on this saves you heartache (and money) in the future. So, this may be for your next location - as you expand! :slight_smile:

I don’t want to impinge on progress already made. You may already know this. The broker gets paid by the landlord and works for you and protects YOUR interests. The commission should already be “baked” into your rental rate, so don’t let the landlord hedge on the rental rate since a commission would be due. It also creates a buffer for you - you stay on good terms with the LL and your broker is the “bad cop”. It may be a good time to ask your LL if they’ve worked with brokers before. Not to nix the deal, just as a reference point.

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

which shall not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. Landlord will have 15 days from the time of

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

Never set a goal without attaching a timeline to it. To breathe life into a goal you must attach a precise deadline to it." - Robin S. Sharma

theloftsocial.com

hessbk.com

First of all DONT sign leases with your office holders. This will make your life a living hell if ever have to remove someone for not paying. Make them sign a member agreement (it resembles your rights to like a hotel room) they get to use the space but the tenants rights remain with you.

Ok to your question are you signing a lease where you pay from day 1? Or a percentage lease? If a percentage lease make sure there is a cap so your no sharing revenue to the moon and back.

If not a percentage lease than you only need verbiage in your lease that states you have rights to make money in the space (standard) we added special addendums about our memberships and security access, amenities access to the rest of the building if any…

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)
Https://Growthli.com

© Growthli | A Place To Learn, Grow, & Office™

···

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 10:14 AM Wendy S. [email protected] wrote:

Hi Brian

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

member agreement = license agreement!

···

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Joshua Webb [email protected] wrote:

First of all DONT sign leases with your office holders. This will make your life a living hell if ever have to remove someone for not paying. Make them sign a member agreement (it resembles your rights to like a hotel room) they get to use the space but the tenants rights remain with you.

Ok to your question are you signing a lease where you pay from day 1? Or a percentage lease? If a percentage lease make sure there is a cap so your no sharing revenue to the moon and back.

If not a percentage lease than you only need verbiage in your lease that states you have rights to make money in the space (standard) we added special addendums about our memberships and security access, amenities access to the rest of the building if any…

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)

Hi Brian

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

theloftsocial.com

hessbk.com

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the input!

I am working with a broker. I have a great lease. I was just concerned about putting the right language in for the sublease clause. My attorney came up with some great language even though it is his first coworking lease review. It is very similar to what you have provided, except we were able to get them to agree to let me sublet without LL approval. Sublease profits were also retained.

I am glad we were on the right track.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

···

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Wendy S. [email protected] wrote:

Hi Brian

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

Hi Joshua,

My next step is to create a great membership agreement.

What are the important points to cover?

Are there any coworking owners out there willing to share?

Thanks,

Brian Burgett

···

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Joshua Webb [email protected] wrote:

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)

Hi Brian

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett

Joshua - right on about a Membership Agreement/License vs leases! It may be that the Master Lease withe the Landlord would legally state the right to allocate space to other businesses and must be stated as subleasing. That said, that’s where the attorney’s expertise comes into play as to the correct language. :slight_smile: Smart advice, too about the special addendums.
Wendy

···

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 10:47:52 AM UTC-5, Joshua Webb wrote:

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)

Hi Brian

Right to Assign/

Sublease:

Wendy Spreenberg

SITE REsolutions, LLC

e) [email protected]

Hi all,

Best regards,

Brian Burgett