Coworking in smaller towns

Hey all,

I posted this is the GCUC group yesterday, so, sorry if you’re seeing this again!

Here’s my question: Does anyone have experience opening a coworking space in smaller towns with a much smaller population than urban centres? I would appreciate any insights, stories, tricks or tips. I’m looking at a population of about 130,000 with one small (ish) community college.

Thanks

Jessica

Hi Jessica.

That would be The Creative Space in Barrie, Ontario!

We’re 7 years in! 45 members companies so far.

No major tricks other than…

Build the community first and start sustainable. We started with 1200 s/f - now in 6200.

Reach out to public partners (but don’t wait around till they get it)

Get people involved and allow members to take ownership early

Be a community centre. Coworking by day, event and arts and culture space by night if you can.

Tell stories along the way.

Feel free to check out the site, read some posts and give me a shout to follow up.

Chad Ballantyne

ch…@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie’s Coworking Community

Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.

12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3

Memberships start at $25/mth

www.thecreativespace.ca

705-812-0689

···

On May 20, 2016, at 11:37 AM, Jessica Knapp [email protected] wrote:

Hey all,

I posted this is the GCUC group yesterday, so, sorry if you’re seeing this again!

Here’s my question: Does anyone have experience opening a coworking space in smaller towns with a much smaller population than urban centres? I would appreciate any insights, stories, tricks or tips. I’m looking at a population of about 130,000 with one small (ish) community college.

Thanks

Jessica

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

So glad you posted this, Jessica! I’ve been looking to connect with other small/suburban/niche spaces, as well.

We are 1 year in, located in South Florida which is a really spread out area without much urban concentration outside of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami (45 mins to 1.5 hour away). We are on a historic main street of a small town (20k) 15-20 mins outside a small city (100k). We have about 3,400 square feet indoors (which includes a small commercial kitchen) and 30 members. We have a pretty tight creative niche for our membership, which adds more of a challenge sales-wise but helps us build a really strong, collaborative community.

My tips are pretty similar:

• We focus on community. My community managers (3 part timers) and I all take time to get to know each of our members personally and in depth, and without a huge member base we are able to really able focus on their individual needs. There was a question in the FB group about “how do you get them to leave their big house/home office to come to yours”, and my answer is by building an irresistible community. Our members don’t come in because of the quality of desk and chair; they come in to see friendly faces, make connections, and vent/be inspired/get ideas/feel less alone with their challenges and successes.

• We also have function as a hybrid coworking space and community center/venue, and supplement our income by renting out space out for private events. There is a big need in our town for this type of space; it’s also a big member benefit (reduced/at cost rates). Having to maintain a flexible space adds challenges, though.

• In our first year, we hosted a LOT of events to promote our space and get our name out there. We’re starting to pull back on this a bit because we feel it’s done the work we needed it to, and it’s exhausting, but we’ll still host the most targeted and beneficial ones.

• Expect to spend a lot of time educating people on what coworking is and how it benefits them. We have a street level location with foot traffic, an open door and someone always available to answer questions and give tours - I think it’s a major factor.

• We didn’t have a lot of luck getting help from the local government or economic boards. If you can do this, it would be a huge help.

• If I had a do-over, I wish we had a little more space to be able to add larger office suites with multiple employees, and/or partner with a retail type business to bring in traffic and share costs. About 1,000 more feet would do it.

Our original space was opened in Oosterhout, population not quite 50,000, second in Den Bosch, pop 140,000 ish, then in RIjsenhout, just over 3,000 (yes you read that right.) and the most recent in Brunssum, pop 28,000.

So other folks have covered the waterfront pretty well but I do want to add this: Every place has a different vibe, a different energy. If I am feeling mystical on a different day, I might opine that a place has a soul. You have to find that, and work with that. All our spaces are very, very different to walk into, because the identity of the place they are is very different and that is a good thing.

The best approach for a small local population is to position the space as a connector or catalyst between your coworkers and the people they need and want to come in contact with, to make their businesses flourish. Internally of course (community); but externally as well.

I have long believed that we need a special place for coworking in smaller towns and cities (what we used to call rural coworking) because the way it works really is very different. I barely know what hotdesking is. :slight_smile:

Oh wait, I forgot. Also, the best way to go in small towns (unless you are yourself rooted there) is in my experience either 1) own the building; 2) have a cooperative arrangement with the owner; or 3) have a profit share with the owner. It has many, many advantages over and above the obvious " don’t have to cough up the rent every month" advantage.

Hey Chad,

This is really helpful, thank you!

Hopefully one day I can come and check out your space, and you’re always welcome in New Zealand when I open my space.

Best,

Jessica

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 4:51:30 PM UTC+1, creativespace wrote:

Hi Jessica.

That would be The Creative Space in Barrie, Ontario!

We’re 7 years in! 45 members companies so far.

No major tricks other than…

Build the community first and start sustainable. We started with 1200 s/f - now in 6200.

Reach out to public partners (but don’t wait around till they get it)

Get people involved and allow members to take ownership early

Be a community centre. Coworking by day, event and arts and culture space by night if you can.

Tell stories along the way.

Feel free to check out the site, read some posts and give me a shout to follow up.

Chad Ballantyne

ch…@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie’s Coworking Community

Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.

12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3

Memberships start at $25/mth

www.thecreativespace.ca

705-812-0689

On May 20, 2016, at 11:37 AM, Jessica Knapp [email protected] wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Laura,

This is fantastic and really helpful, thank you!

Best,

Jessica

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:35:59 PM UTC+1, Laura McGlynn wrote:

So glad you posted this, Jessica! I’ve been looking to connect with other small/suburban/niche spaces, as well.

We are 1 year in, located in South Florida which is a really spread out area without much urban concentration outside of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami (45 mins to 1.5 hour away). We are on a historic main street of a small town (20k) 15-20 mins outside a small city (100k). We have about 3,400 square feet indoors (which includes a small commercial kitchen) and 30 members. We have a pretty tight creative niche for our membership, which adds more of a challenge sales-wise but helps us build a really strong, collaborative community.

My tips are pretty similar:

• We focus on community. My community managers (3 part timers) and I all take time to get to know each of our members personally and in depth, and without a huge member base we are able to really able focus on their individual needs. There was a question in the FB group about “how do you get them to leave their big house/home office to come to yours”, and my answer is by building an irresistible community. Our members don’t come in because of the quality of desk and chair; they come in to see friendly faces, make connections, and vent/be inspired/get ideas/feel less alone with their challenges and successes.
  • We also have function as a hybrid coworking space and community center/venue, and supplement our income by renting out space out for private events. There is a big need in our town for this type of space; it’s also a big member benefit (reduced/at cost rates). Having to maintain a flexible space adds challenges, though.
  • In our first year, we hosted a LOT of events to promote our space and get our name out there. We’re starting to pull back on this a bit because we feel it’s done the work we needed it to, and it’s exhausting, but we’ll still host the most targeted and beneficial ones.
  • Expect to spend a lot of time educating people on what coworking is and how it benefits them. We have a street level location with foot traffic, an open door and someone always available to answer questions and give tours - I think it’s a major factor.
  • We didn’t have a lot of luck getting help from the local government or economic boards. If you can do this, it would be a huge help.
  • If I had a do-over, I wish we had a little more space to be able to add larger office suites with multiple employees, and/or partner with a retail type business to bring in traffic and share costs. About 1,000 more feet would do it.

Great info. I'm opening up my space in a smaller suburban town this information is very helpful.

:slight_smile:

What needs to be stressed repeatedly is “Build the community”

···

On May 24, 2016 5:16 PM, “Ehmandah R.” [email protected] wrote:

Great info. I’m opening up my space in a smaller suburban town this information is very helpful.

:slight_smile:

In Switzerland there is a new project aiming for coworking spaces in the villages … see http://www.villageoffice.ch/

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:41:36 PM UTC+2, Jessica Knapp wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica

Great question. I am in the process of opening a space in a city fo roughly 63,000 that boarders with North end of Austin, TX (Austin is #18 as far as coworking spaces). There is one other small space in our city but his focus is slightly different. My partner and I have both been active in the community for a number of years both politically and with the Chamber of Commerce. Both of these helped us establish a strong base to build upon. I strongly recommend being involved with the Chamber of Commerce if you can.

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 10:41:36 AM UTC-5, Jessica Knapp wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I have “experience” having done exactly that but I’m not sure I can give you ANY good advice. I’ve really hit the wall this week and questioning my level of naivety in this venture.

I apologise if this post comes across as a whinge but I’m struggling to understand where I’ve gone wrong.

My space is comfortable in a roomy and well appointed sense but TINY when it comes to catering for a viable revolving door community of workers. We have a max. 8 fixed desks plus we can accommodate another 8 in the group-table, coffee-table lounge areas. Town population probably 3-4k people, high unemployment but a lot of early-adopters of innovation. It is not your typical office space being an old renovated hall. The space includes a residential apartment… so the lounge area has a large home-office ambience – an atmosphere that will suit some but not others.

We’ve been operating for a little over six months now… and haven’t grown much. I’ve needed to adapt my ideas and tighten up the rules a bit (not easy with those who’ve joined early) – but so necessary. Maybe this is the hardest part when you don’t have a stream of people lining up for a desk… because it’s the people who set and shape the culture of the community.

Regional populations in Australia are very small - so marketing is not easy. However I saw a need (not necessarily a demand) for affordable and social working options. While I’ve been prepared to operate at a loss for 12 months, with the idea of pricing products very competitively and attractively, I hadn’t factored in the heavy lifting involved in site maintenance. Rules around “cleaning up after yourself” don’t relieve me of the janitor role.

Pricing correctly (and sticking to it) is proving to be an issue. In particular because I have a group of people from a single organisation who are dominating – in the sense of “owning” the space, and over time becoming less mindful of others (solo workers). They have asked for and I have given the group concessions on their argument that they deserve discount for volume. That was the beginning of more demands and I’m beginning to feel quite manipulated. They now want 24/7 access without an increased rate adding that they would probably look for their own office space. I responded simply with the obvious – it’s a coworking space, there is no “lease”, people come and go as needed.

Two days later I was greeted with a bunch of flowers! and an offer to take over the whole space. I said I would think it over.

The feeling of manipulation is clouding my ability to think strategically. Yes, I am taking it personally. It confronts my original vision. I’m leaning towards a decision to increase my monthly rate (to better cover maintenance) and to revoke the “discount” with the suggestion they find their own office. I will take the punt that other coworkers will materialise. Do I stick to my vision or do I acquiesce?

I realise that part of my problem stems from starting out “soft”. I didn’t develop and deliver the Terms and Conditions from the outset. Don’t make that mistake. And I wasn’t clear in myself about the nature of offering a coworking facility. Do customers have a right to expect coworking to be a fully serviced option where they don’t have to worry about taking out the garbage?

I would really appreciate a no-punches-pulled reality check from more experienced coworking vendors.

Anakowi Paul,
I’ve had a coworking space for 6 years and I started out small in 1,100 ft2. We’ve since grown and I have some thoughts/stories for you.

You can alter/add terms and agreements whenever. I completely overhauled our terms and values last year after my epic 2nd location fuckup so know that that’s an option.

Even in really large spaces, a team of even 4 people can begin to sway your culture in ways that may not be beneficial to everyone or your vision for the community (also, your vision may not be aligned with your members’ desires). The cultural pull will be greater in a small space like yours.

I would recommend a sit down talk with the group that’s causing friction and lay out your expectations. My gut tells me it’s time for them to go. If a member group offered to buy me out of Cohere, I’d probably want to kick them in the nuts b/c that goes against everything we’ve all been working towards for 6 years.

Short advice: just talk to them.

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 9:41:36 AM UTC-6, Jessica Knapp wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica

Gosh, I (and I bet many of us with similar smaller spaces) can relate so much to what you are going through. I feel your pain - you’re not alone in all of these issues.

I don’t have any magic bullets, but I did want to share my number one realization about myself and our space over the last year. When something is 100% your own and you touch every aspect of the space and business, it’s easy to take these issues personally, but you have to try not to. It’s business. I’ve gone through this and all around this, and have had sleepless nights wondering why people can be the way they are, but to them it’s a business arrangement and they “won’t get what they don’t ask for.” They WILL keep asking and taking as long as they are there. They feel that they have to, or they wouldn’t be doing the best for their own businesses. I think the more quickly you can separate your personal feelings from this, the better owner/operator you will be. Getting upset and feeling (justifiably) taken advantage of has never been productive for me; when I changed my way of thinking and started to make decisions about our business based upon what it really is - a service - we began doing whatever we could to make people happy - AND immediately cutting ties with the people who never would be happy and were poisoning our environment. Because it’s just business, and that goes both ways. Regardless of how they’ve treated you, this is a business decision - are they right for your space? Do they contribute to the environment you are trying to build?

That said, I don’t see how our space would ever function without providing a certain level of service. Our members don’t expect to clean up after themselves; that’s what they are paying us for. A cleaning person was my first ‘hire’, and we pick up after our members, wash their dishes during the day, restock the bathrooms and paper towels, etc. (We go way beyond that, but that’s our brand.) I can’t even comprehend asking them to take out their own trash! I know all spaces are different, but our focus on service is what I think differentiates us and will keep us viable as competition increases in our area. What you’re expecting of them feels, to me, more of a co-op situation - maybe that’s an avenue for you to look into? I think there was a thread here in this group on just that topic, and I know it was discussed at GCUC. Either way, I’d use a lot of caution in pushing your rules/T&C’s to the forefront of your conversation and thereby putting walls up in front of your prospective members. Coworking spaces are supposed to be all about inclusiveness and good vibes. It’s up to you to decide how much service that entails, but if you could fill your space and pay the bills by just taking out the garbage and cleaning up a few messes, wouldn’t you be happy to do that?

···

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 11:12:07 PM UTC-4, Anakowi Paul wrote:

Hi Jessica,

I have “experience” having done exactly that but I’m not sure I can give you ANY good advice. I’ve really hit the wall this week and questioning my level of naivety in this venture.

I apologise if this post comes across as a whinge but I’m struggling to understand where I’ve gone wrong.

My space is comfortable in a roomy and well appointed sense but TINY when it comes to catering for a viable revolving door community of workers. We have a max. 8 fixed desks plus we can accommodate another 8 in the group-table, coffee-table lounge areas. Town population probably 3-4k people, high unemployment but a lot of early-adopters of innovation. It is not your typical office space being an old renovated hall. The space includes a residential apartment… so the lounge area has a large home-office ambience – an atmosphere that will suit some but not others.

We’ve been operating for a little over six months now… and haven’t grown much. I’ve needed to adapt my ideas and tighten up the rules a bit (not easy with those who’ve joined early) – but so necessary. Maybe this is the hardest part when you don’t have a stream of people lining up for a desk… because it’s the people who set and shape the culture of the community.

Regional populations in Australia are very small - so marketing is not easy. However I saw a need (not necessarily a demand) for affordable and social working options. While I’ve been prepared to operate at a loss for 12 months, with the idea of pricing products very competitively and attractively, I hadn’t factored in the heavy lifting involved in site maintenance. Rules around “cleaning up after yourself” don’t relieve me of the janitor role.

Pricing correctly (and sticking to it) is proving to be an issue. In particular because I have a group of people from a single organisation who are dominating – in the sense of “owning” the space, and over time becoming less mindful of others (solo workers). They have asked for and I have given the group concessions on their argument that they deserve discount for volume. That was the beginning of more demands and I’m beginning to feel quite manipulated. They now want 24/7 access without an increased rate adding that they would probably look for their own office space. I responded simply with the obvious – it’s a coworking space, there is no “lease”, people come and go as needed.

Two days later I was greeted with a bunch of flowers! and an offer to take over the whole space. I said I would think it over.

The feeling of manipulation is clouding my ability to think strategically. Yes, I am taking it personally. It confronts my original vision. I’m leaning towards a decision to increase my monthly rate (to better cover maintenance) and to revoke the “discount” with the suggestion they find their own office. I will take the punt that other coworkers will materialise. Do I stick to my vision or do I acquiesce?

I realise that part of my problem stems from starting out “soft”. I didn’t develop and deliver the Terms and Conditions from the outset. Don’t make that mistake. And I wasn’t clear in myself about the nature of offering a coworking facility. Do customers have a right to expect coworking to be a fully serviced option where they don’t have to worry about taking out the garbage?

I would really appreciate a no-punches-pulled reality check from more experienced coworking vendors.

Thank you all for your responses. It’s really valuable feedback and helps to highlight some important things for me.

Mike, your story is a good reality check about baseline viability. I don’t think I have the numbers and there’s still a lot of economic uncertainty looking forward. Also I’m foremost a “creative” and “activist” which is often in conflict with business pragmatics.

Laura, thank you, you’ve addressed the nitty-gritty in exactly the way I needed. I had provided “service” with attention to detail, well stocked in the amenities and other little extras - including cleaning up after them. I was fully prepared to continue that service. But they’ve worn me down with their haggling and blase attitude. You’re right though – that is their business focus and not something to take personally.

So it’s pretty clear – taking Angel’s advice… lay out the proposal to them. My business focus is to increase the monthly rate and reset the boundaries. Those are my terms and they are free to look elsewhere. This brings everything back into line with my initial costings and puts me back on track to appraise the viability.

Hi Jessica,

I’ve been running a space for four years in a town of 35k.

The rules are the same regardless of population:

1. Running a Coworking space is running a business, is your model sustainable / viable?
  2. Is there demand (not simply absence of), do people need this? This is answered by something you should have read a thousand times one here already: “Build the Community first”. Which is also the same as find your customers first.
    So the rules are the same, it’s how we operate within them that is the challenge for a smaller town, ie smaller client base.

When thinking about what I would suggest most of it boils down to “Don’t do this in isolation”. Find groups and organizations in your town that you can partner with in some way. A landlord that is understanding and flexible, municipal support, professional associations (chambers etc) and community groups.

At the end of the day you have to make a living and keep the lights on. I run this space, but my income comes from elsewhere. Coworking at a small scale is a very thin margin business. Be realistic, understand this, work within the resources you have and you’ll build a fantastic community resource to be proud of!

I’d love to help if I can, please feel free to reach out anytime if want to bounce ideas around.

Cheers,

Nicholas

[email protected]

···

On Friday, 20 May 2016 08:41:36 UTC-7, Jessica Knapp wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica

Hi Anakowi,

Woah! You’ve really been through it! I ran a large coworking space for 3 years and have a decent amount of experience with managing a large and fluid community and all the ups and downs that go along with it (I posted this question so I could get some info from coworking managers in smaller, low-density areas.) If you want to chat at all, or vent or get some advice, then please feel free to email me - [email protected]

Best of luck and I hope the responses below helped you!

Jessica

···

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 4:12:07 AM UTC+1, Anakowi Paul wrote:

Hi Jessica,

Anakowi,

Wow what a read, thank you for that! But don’t worry, it looks like so many people here have given some great advice.

Addressing the bigger company, I have heard once or twice the notion of starting to charge more for teams over a certain size? I don’t know if anyone here has any experience with this? This is something I will shortly look at as a local company have sold their office and took up 5 part time memberships with us.

Like you, we are very small and have a great community however would hate to experience the problems you have faced and I think addressing this issue from the off helps, but like Angel said - change your terms and conditions whenever you want - learn and grow from these experiences.

The beauty of having small cowork spaces like yours and ours is that we really get to enforce a Lean Startup (great book by the way) approach. Desk Cowork has evolved massively in our first 4 months alone.

If they don’t like this and conflict with solo members, boot them. Get out there, meet new people. People who I would never have thought would be good member prospects have signed up and joined our community, so don’t rule anyone out. We even have ecologists and scientists who wanted to be part of our community. What I’m saying is, you will fill their space :slight_smile: even if you have to offer discounts to get people in to try the space.

At the beginning I ran these offers (at various times):

• 20% off first three months (made this for selected industries we were lacking)

• Second month FREE (meaning you get a financial commitment from someone as opposed to giving a first month free which would be rather dumb)

• Always offering free cowork days to people to let them experience the place

• Trade desk space and memberships for peoples services - this is great as you lower your costs, get more exposure, and if you have the space at the moment anyway then the place looks busier and more vibrant for new prospects coming through the door. The other day someone actually wanted to know when the busiest time to come is as they enjoy that more!

Good Luck!

Matt

···

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 4:12:07 AM UTC+1, Anakowi Paul wrote:

Hi Jessica,

Hi Jessica,

Just found this group! I have recently opened up a coworking space in Markham Ontario. We are a suburban town of just over 300,000. My space is in a beautiful heritage schoolhouse close to our Main Street. I have started small with a space for 10-12 desks, a small meeting room and a shared board room with other tenants in the building. Opened in February and already have over 30 members - all varying in different memberships. I am taking over another space next door which is a private office. I have joined many networking groups in the region (Women’s Entrepreneural groups, Small Business Networking groups in my city and neighbouring cities/towns) got involved with speaking opportunities with our local StartUp community, joined Board of Trade/Chamber of Commerce and joined forces with local libraries (lots of people who need office space hang out there!). Social Media has been my biggest source of leads & word of mouth. There are many local facebook groups to join for entrepreneurs and small business owners. Always good to post on them and invest a little on boosting your ad.

Still a work in progress of course but it has been a lot of fun! Would be happy to chat more if you like:)

My website is www.thevillagehive.ca

Email - char…@thevillagehive.ca

All the best!

Charlotte

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 11:41:36 AM UTC-4, Jessica Knapp wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica

Hey all,

Want to say an enormous thank you to all of you for taking the time to craft your responses and share your wisdom and experience! I love the Coworking world for this very reason, seriously. You’re the bees knees :slight_smile:

When it comes time for me to actually execute on this project I might reach out again.

Take care in the meantime!

Jessica

···

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 4:41:36 PM UTC+1, Jessica Knapp wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks

Jessica