Coworking for Therapists/Counselors

Hello, Do any of you have experience starting a coworking space for psychotherapists (or massage therapists, even) as some considerations are unique for this group. I am writing up a business plan for this type of space but would like to converse with other therapists who have a coworking space.

One of our unique considerations is that therapists will need an individual office for a specific amount of time, and must be able to reserve it ahead of time. The length of time could be 2 hours, or 4 hours or 8 hours, and a single office could have 5 different therapists using it on any given 12 hour day.

I’m planning for 6 offices, one group therapy room, and a Therapist-only hang out room where therapists can get a coffee, commune with other therapists, do their notes, etc. Has anyone else in this group created a therapist coworking space? Thank you.

I have not, but I have had psychiatrists and massage therapists and other therapists as members in my space.

Another consideration to keep in mind, as with other professionals, is that this group has ethical obligations as well as contractual ones (for malpractice insurance for example) regarding privacy and patient records. Accessibility issues – both physical and in terms of the atmosphere in the space itself – are also key, as this group often works with a vulnerable population.

Reserving a private space ahead of time for meetings is a fairly common circumstance for coworking spaces and not likely to have any unique features other than the privacy related ones, or such was my experience.

Happy to talk about our experience, can you say a little more about what questions you have?

Warm Regards,

Jeannine

···

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 8:26:22 PM UTC+1, Penny Mechley-Porter wrote:

Hello, Do any of you have experience starting a coworking space for psychotherapists (or massage therapists, even) as some considerations are unique for this group. I am writing up a business plan for this type of space but would like to converse with other therapists who have a coworking space.

One of our unique considerations is that therapists will need an individual office for a specific amount of time, and must be able to reserve it ahead of time. The length of time could be 2 hours, or 4 hours or 8 hours, and a single office could have 5 different therapists using it on any given 12 hour day.

I’m planning for 6 offices, one group therapy room, and a Therapist-only hang out room where therapists can get a coffee, commune with other therapists, do their notes, etc. Has anyone else in this group created a therapist coworking space? Thank you.

There are two well-established ones that I am familiar with

http://somavida.net/ in Austin, TX

https://www.boulderhealinghub.com/ in Boulder, CO

Angle

···

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 1:26:22 PM UTC-6, Penny Mechley-Porter wrote:

1 Like

Penny, we’ve opened up one a year ago in California for Therapists. Happy to chat sometime. Let me know. [email protected]

Thanks,
Matt