Coworking Elevator Pitch!

Dear all,

We are starting a Coworking Studio in a location where awareness about the Coworking movement is very low. So we have decided to build an Elevator Pitch which for those of you who are not aware of it, means basicaly how can you can deliver a short summar to quickly and simply define a profession, product, service, organization or event and its value proposition.

The Wikipedia definition of “elevator pitch” is the following :

The name “elevator pitch” reflects the idea that it should be possible to deliver the summary in the time span of an elevator ride, or approximately thirty seconds to two minutes and is widely credited to Ilene Rosenzweig and Michael Caruso (while he was Editor for Vanity Fair) for its origin. The term itself comes from a scenario of an accidental meeting with someone important in the elevator. If the conversation inside the elevator in those few seconds is interesting and value adding, the conversation will continue after the elevator ride or end in exchange of business cards or a scheduled meeting.

So any ideas on what a Coworking Elevator Pitch would sound like ?

Cheers !

Check the homepage of Betacowork for good elements : betacowork.com

This would be a great topic at GCUC. I am also having trouble with my pitch. I want to focus on community and collaboration but in my town cowering is such a new concept that in order to be understood to any degree I have to break it down as a shared office space, coffee shop type thing. I really could use some help on mine as well.
Gretchen

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:38:14 AM UTC-6, coworking studio wrote:

Dear all,

We are starting a Coworking Studio in a location where awareness about the Coworking movement is very low. So we have decided to build an Elevator Pitch which for those of you who are not aware of it, means basicaly how can you can deliver a short summar to quickly and simply define a profession, product, service, organization or event and its value proposition.

The name “elevator pitch” reflects the idea that it should be possible to deliver the summary in the time span of an elevator ride, or approximately thirty seconds to two minutes and is widely credited to Ilene Rosenzweig and Michael Caruso (while he was Editor for Vanity Fair) for its origin. The term itself comes from a scenario of an accidental meeting with someone important in the elevator. If the conversation inside the elevator in those few seconds is interesting and value adding, the conversation will continue after the elevator ride or end in exchange of business cards or a scheduled meeting.

Cheers !

Forget the pitch. Forget workspace. Talk to people like they’re human beings. Talk about yourself and your wants and hopes and needs and invite people to share theirs.

This movement isn’t special because we found a new way to rent office space. This movement is special because work has changed and now a lot of us are on our own cooped up in our homes and it’s kind of awesome but it kind of sucks. Speak from the heart about what you believe– and why you care about this so much that you’re sticking your neck out to build a business around it.

People respond when they see that you want what they want and you’re dedicated to doing something about it.

When they offer to help, let them.

Then, when you have a living room / cafe / library / public space / restaurant / bar buzzing with a small but excited crew of people who are so glad they found each other, the pitch starts to pitch itself. People who witness it will get it.

As you go, talking about what you’re doing starts to get easier as you build momentum and support. Invite people who care about the things you care about to gather around helping each other, and you should have no problem reaching the people you want to reach and feeling good about what you’re doing as you go.

Tony

···

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Gretchen Bilbro [email protected] wrote:

This would be a great topic at GCUC. I am also having trouble with my pitch. I want to focus on community and collaboration but in my town cowering is such a new concept that in order to be understood to any degree I have to break it down as a shared office space, coffee shop type thing. I really could use some help on mine as well.
Gretchen

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:38:14 AM UTC-6, coworking studio wrote:

Dear all,

Cheers !

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Blog

***+ Keep in touch: ****TwitterFacebook *********

**+ Projects: **New Work CityCoworking NYC MeetupNYTM

**+ Travel: **NYC now-2/27 • Boulder 2/27~3/9 • NYC 3/9-?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I couldn’t agree more with Tony. This is pretty much how we run (thought we don’t in a way) Coworklisboa (since 2010). You can’t decreet love. All you should do is dimming lights and see what happens. I’ve seen a lot of coworking spaces failing just because they tend to impose an idea of “collaboration emergency”. Collaboration is based on common needs not on what we want people to do.
On the pitch itself I would go to something close to the Mutinerie’s “slogan”: Libres, ensemble! (free, together).
At coworklisboa, we use 4 sentences in ramdom way:

1. It’s not about work anymore® :slight_smile:

2. Our week beats your year (stealing from Lou Reed song. I’m a mad fan)

3. Love transcends time and space (stealing a line from Interstellar movie)

4. It’s not me, it’s you and me (not us)

Hope that helps.

Love from Lisboa!
FM

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 3:38:14 PM UTC, coworking studio wrote:

Dear all,

Cheers !

Dear Ramon, Gretchen, Tony and CoworkLisboa,

Thanks for the very interesting ideas, reactions and comments shared on this topic. Inspiring stuff, really giving me some “Food for Thought” these last couple of days !

I am especially liking this “speaking to the people” approach and the concept of “finding each other” : coworking does make us stumble upon people that we would probably never meet elsewhere.

I’m hoping others will still contribute with more ideas !

BR,

Mauro

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4:38:14 PM UTC+1, coworking studio wrote:

Dear all,

Cheers !

I actually told a little story in this episode of my podcast about how you can approach talking to people. The analogy I use is one that’s helped a lot of people treat their “pitch” a lot less like a sale, as Tony and Fernando have both suggested (and I totally agree with).

http://listen.coworkingweekly.com/episodes/5491-ep2-sooooooo-how-do-you-get-members-for-your-coworking-community-askcoworkingweekly

I’m still getting used to remembering that I have these episodes handy to share, so thanks for reminding me guys!

-Alex

···

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://coworkingweekly.com/show

On Feb 23, 2015, 5:35:15 PM, coworking studio [email protected] wrote:

Dear Ramon, Gretchen, Tony and CoworkLisboa,

Thanks for the very interesting ideas, reactions and comments shared on this topic. Inspiring stuff, really giving me some “Food for Thought” these last couple of days !

I am especially liking this “speaking to the people” approach and the concept of “finding each other” : coworking does make us stumble upon people that we would probably never meet elsewhere.

I’m hoping others will still contribute with more ideas !

BR,

Mauro

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4:38:14 PM UTC+1, coworking studio wrote:

Dear all,

Cheers !

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Talking to people like people, how novel! :wink: