Coworking Conference Virgin - Help!

Hi all,

After a bit of deliberation and a couple of beers, I’ve taken the plunge and decided to go to the Coworking Europe Conference, Dublin in November,

While I’m still at the very very very early stages of research I can’t overlook the fact that the conference is virtually on my doorstep (only an hour flight) and it seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

Obviously the costs associated with going aren’t small, so I thought I’d reach out to the community to ask if they had any tips around must do activitiies / approaches to conferences that might help me get the most out of it.

I’ve spotted there are a couple of podcasts from Alex at IndyHall and also Everything Coworking with the topic “How to get the most out of / win at a Coworking conference” so I’ll definitely be checking those out, but if anyone else has any advice for someone who isn’t great at just walking into a room and saying “hello I’m Mark” that would be great.

One of the things I’m really looking forward to is that the first day appears to have a lot going on for beginners so I’ll be sure to check out some of those events.

Thanks in advance for any help!

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark,

Starting with “Hello, I’m Mark” is as good a start as any :slight_smile: Be genuinely curious. Ask people what they’re doing. Get involved in the sessions, but don’t be afraid to do your own thing if there’s a time slot with sessions that don’t appeal to you – sometimes, finding people outside of the sessions and having a chat is as good a way to spend your time. This could be the case during the “unconference” day when people organise the sessions themselves. Don’t put pressure on yourself to go to everything.

Talk to people during the coffee breaks. Last year was my first year attending CWE and I found it could be a bit daunting when people look like they’re sticking together in their own small groups and aren’t looking like they want to talk to others, but you can use your curiosity to your advantage and ask people what they do… especially in the middle of sessions when there are activities that encourage everyone to contribute, or in between sessions if there’s time to digest what you’ve just been doing/thinking/hearing about and can turn around in your seat and ask someone nearby what they got from the session and how it applies to what they’re doing.

Make sure you say hi to us too (I’ll be there with Claire and Sam from The Melting Pot). It would be great to hear about your plans and help if we can.

Finally, make lots of notes, and take time to reflect on them (don’t just throw your notebook in a drawer and forget about it when you get back home).

Enjoy it! Look forward to meeting you in Dublin :slight_smile:

David.

···

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 06:13:15 UTC+1, Mark wrote:

Hi all,

After a bit of deliberation and a couple of beers, I’ve taken the plunge and decided to go to the Coworking Europe Conference, Dublin in November,

While I’m still at the very very very early stages of research I can’t overlook the fact that the conference is virtually on my doorstep (only an hour flight) and it seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

Obviously the costs associated with going aren’t small, so I thought I’d reach out to the community to ask if they had any tips around must do activitiies / approaches to conferences that might help me get the most out of it.

I’ve spotted there are a couple of podcasts from Alex at IndyHall and also Everything Coworking with the topic “How to get the most out of / win at a Coworking conference” so I’ll definitely be checking those out, but if anyone else has any advice for someone who isn’t great at just walking into a room and saying “hello I’m Mark” that would be great.

One of the things I’m really looking forward to is that the first day appears to have a lot going on for beginners so I’ll be sure to check out some of those events.

All the best

Mark

The Melting Pot, Scotland’s Centre for Social Innovation :tada: 2017: Celebrating 10 Years in Business!
Quality Coworking • Virtual Office Services • Event Space & Meeting Room Hire • Good Ideas Academy
Membership Enquiries & Bookings: www.TheMeltingPotEdinburgh.org.uk • News & Opportunities: via Emailvia Twittervia Facebook

The Melting Pot, 5 Rose Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2PR • Phone +44 (0)131 243 2626

Hi Mark, stop by at our table and talk to Jess and Jay – they’ve been running our centers for over 5 years and have seen it all. And I’m doing a presentation on how to make smaller centers work, and you will certainly get your fill of startup information. We’d love to have you there!

Barbara

···

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 10:13:15 PM UTC-7, Mark wrote:

Hi all,

All the best

Mark

I made this recap worksheet for GCUC attendees but I think it could work in your favor to keep it in mind while you’re at the conference. Who do you want to meet, what do you want to learn, etc?

Conference Recap.pdf (3.35 MB)

···

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 11:13:15 PM UTC-6, Mark wrote:

Hi all,

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark - see you in Dublin in a couple of weeks. I am new to this conference, I went to Brussels last year for the Copass camp, never miss one of those, but did not go to the conference. I am not a huge conference fan, to be honest, I am looking forward more to the connecting with people outside of the conference, hence doing the Copass camp again. Cheers Phil

···

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 6:13:15 AM UTC+1, Mark wrote:

Hi all,

All the best

Mark

Hi Phil,

That’s great - I’ll be at the Copass Camp too so would be great to touch base. Have just noticed your email address “atworkhubs” and realised that yours was the second coworking space I ever visited - I am currently up to 4!

I’m not getting in until the Wednesday morning but will no doubt see you around - I’ll be the really tall one with a beard and glasses!

All the best

Mark

···

On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 09:43:49 UTC+1, Philip Dodson wrote:

Hi Mark - see you in Dublin in a couple of weeks. I am new to this conference, I went to Brussels last year for the Copass camp, never miss one of those, but did not go to the conference. I am not a huge conference fan, to be honest, I am looking forward more to the connecting with people outside of the conference, hence doing the Copass camp again. Cheers Phil

Hi all,

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark

I’ll be the other tall one with a beard and occasionally wearing glasses. Is there a connection to tall people, beards, glasses and coworking!

See you at the Copass Camp and conference.

Phil

···

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Mark [email protected] wrote:

Hi Phil,

That’s great - I’ll be at the Copass Camp too so would be great to touch base. Have just noticed your email address “atworkhubs” and realised that yours was the second coworking space I ever visited - I am currently up to 4!

I’m not getting in until the Wednesday morning but will no doubt see you around - I’ll be the really tall one with a beard and glasses!

All the best

Mark

Hi all,

All the best

Mark

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/oO_IdlhV7R8/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Philip Dodson

Founder - @Work Hubs & Deep Work Project

The Deep Work Project is an exploration and purposeful application of the art of deep, focused, thoughtful and productive work practices. Enabling individuals and organisations to create work that matters and become the best possible versions of themselves in harmony with their well-being.

Twitter: @philip_dodson

07766 053 425****0203 598 2046www.atworkhubs.co.uk
105 a Euston Street, London NW1 2EW

Ha ha maybe - David from Melting Pot is also tall with a beard apparently!

···

On 25 October 2017 at 10:11, Philip Dodson [email protected] wrote:

Hi Mark

I’ll be the other tall one with a beard and occasionally wearing glasses. Is there a connection to tall people, beards, glasses and coworking!

See you at the Copass Camp and conference.

Phil

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/oO_IdlhV7R8/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Mark [email protected] wrote:

Hi Phil,

All the best

Mark

Hi all,

All the best

Mark

Philip Dodson

Founder - @Work Hubs & Deep Work Project

The Deep Work Project is an exploration and purposeful application of the art of deep, focused, thoughtful and productive work practices. Enabling individuals and organisations to create work that matters and become the best possible versions of themselves in harmony with their well-being.

Twitter: @philip_dodson

07766 053 425****0203 598 2046www.atworkhubs.co.uk
105 a Euston Street, London NW1 2EW