Coworking building without parking spaces

I’ve spent about 6 months now looking at properties for opening a coworking space. The first building I looked at still looks to be the best option and is still on the market today. This building has everything that I am looking for - big and open, located in a popular part of the city next to coffee shops and restaurants, has two apartments attached to it which I can rent out for additional income. However, there is no parking besides a small alley way that could probably only fit 2 cars. Is this something that I should be concerned about? This building is also located in an area of the city where parking seems to always be difficult to find.

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t have any data but I would guess your potential clients/coworkers may less likely own a car and need parking space because using public transport, bike, walking or taking uber taxi suits better to their life style.

···

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 04:26 Michael Jon [email protected] wrote:

I’ve spent about 6 months now looking at properties for opening a coworking space. The first building I looked at still looks to be the best option and is still on the market today. This building has everything that I am looking for - big and open, located in a popular part of the city next to coffee shops and restaurants, has two apartments attached to it which I can rent out for additional income. However, there is no parking besides a small alley way that could probably only fit 2 cars. Is this something that I should be concerned about? This building is also located in an area of the city where parking seems to always be difficult to find.

Thank you!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We also have limited parking bays for our members and came up with a solution of collaborating with a bike rental company fpr which our members have access to rent on a weekly basis, which is part of their membership fee.

···

Kind Regards,

2 Likes

This will depend a lot on where you are. In the Netherlands free parking is a much more exciting perk than,almost anything else. Though bike parking is as much in demand as car parking and in the large cities like Amsterdam it simply does not exist and everybody knows that already.

I think your best bet is to arrange something for parking, and then communicate it clearly. Maybe you can make a deal with a nearby lot or similar; the option of a park and ride where you leave your car outside the city and ride a shuttle in is increasingly popular in the NL.

Do you expect your coworkers to drive in? If so, then you need to arrange something, If not, then it won;t make a difference.

···

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 2:26:41 AM UTC+1, Michael Jon wrote:

Thank you!

Not sure where you are located. But more and more cities in denser commercial areas are removing the requirement to provide parking. This allows smaller parcels to be redeveloped or reused without the burden of parking. It tends to work best when there are other modes of transportation available and/or when there are larger centrally located parking facilities. Cities that have done this often have to fight against an established culture of expecting to be able to park in front of where you are going - which works in the suburbs but not in urban areas.

I would check with the city zoning department to see whether parking needs to be provided for your use. If you are in a dense area with amenities nearby then I’d say you’ve got a good location.

···

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 8:26:41 PM UTC-5, Michael Jon wrote:

Thank you!

thanks, all. The location is in a spot of a city that is notoriously known for limited parking. My real estate agent who still doesn’t quite understand coworking, keeps telling me that no parking is a huge issue. He seems to picture this as more of a corporate office space.

I think I should be okay as the local restaurants and bars (which are very successful) do not have parking either. just wasn’t sure if it would become a problem, especially for someone who may be renting an office space full time…he/she may expect parking to come with it?

I figure the location of the building in a vibrant/hip community with restaurants/coffee shops and bars close by is more important than a building in a suburb of the city that is less vibrant but comes with parking.

···

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 6:45 AM Will Hurd [email protected] wrote:

Not sure where you are located. But more and more cities in denser commercial areas are removing the requirement to provide parking. This allows smaller parcels to be redeveloped or reused without the burden of parking. It tends to work best when there are other modes of transportation available and/or when there are larger centrally located parking facilities. Cities that have done this often have to fight against an established culture of expecting to be able to park in front of where you are going - which works in the suburbs but not in urban areas.

I would check with the city zoning department to see whether parking needs to be provided for your use. If you are in a dense area with amenities nearby then I’d say you’ve got a good location.

Thank you!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Be careful with offices that don’t have onsite parking. Your zoning regulations may require it if/when you get a building permit to do any renovations.
And even if you don’t, some jurisdictions require that you get a planning permit to even get a business permit, and the planning dept determines parking…

JEROME CHANG, architect

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

Santa Monica | Culver City |Pasadena

NOW OPEN: Larchmont

OPENING SOON: Irvine | Long Beach

···

On Feb 22, 2019, at 6:58 AM, Michael Jon [email protected] wrote:

thanks, all. The location is in a spot of a city that is notoriously known for limited parking. My real estate agent who still doesn’t quite understand coworking, keeps telling me that no parking is a huge issue. He seems to picture this as more of a corporate office space.

I think I should be okay as the local restaurants and bars (which are very successful) do not have parking either. just wasn’t sure if it would become a problem, especially for someone who may be renting an office space full time…he/she may expect parking to come with it?

I figure the location of the building in a vibrant/hip community with restaurants/coffee shops and bars close by is more important than a building in a suburb of the city that is less vibrant but comes with parking.

Thank you!

Thanks, Jerome. The commercial space does technically have parking, however, the lot is very narrow…about 20 ft wide x 90 ft long…so really not much to work with.

···

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 11:33 AM Jerome Chang [email protected] wrote:

Be careful with offices that don’t have onsite parking. Your zoning regulations may require it if/when you get a building permit to do any renovations.
And even if you don’t, some jurisdictions require that you get a planning permit to even get a business permit, and the planning dept determines parking…

JEROME CHANG, architect

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

Santa Monica | Culver City |Pasadena

NOW OPEN: Larchmont

OPENING SOON: Irvine | Long Beach

On Feb 22, 2019, at 6:58 AM, Michael Jon [email protected] wrote:

Thank you!

In my experience, the only time members get squinchy about lack of parking is when their clients who are meeting them in the coworking space complain about lack of parking.

Angel

···

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 6:26:41 PM UTC-7, Michael Jon wrote:

Thank you!

Are there no municipal (or private) parking lots at least within a few blocks of you?

We have a 4K sq ft space, but it only came with a few parking spaces, none of which are shared with any of our members except for one of the private office holders who asked for one. Not everyone has asked for parking either, only a few have.

One of the main reasons we chose our space is because there are 3 municipal parking lots within a block and the city offers ridiculously cheap monthly parking rates (relative to nearby San Francisco of course). The ultra cheapskates here can park in a residential area that is about 3 or 4 blocks away if they really want to, though we do not actively promote that option. A few of our members ride their bikes/e-bikes/e-scooters etc, which we do actively encourage for the obvious societal benefits (we make sustainability a core part of our ethos here in all operations).

···

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
415-488-6069

LinkedIn Twitter

It seems to be great depending on which country you are living if the clients that are coming for meeting at that co working space and you say them not to come in cars it will put a bad impression on you and your coworking space but at last it depends on the client if coming on ola,bike or any other transport other than car then its a great place for you.

Susan, can you share more about the company or organization you work with for this bike sharing program?

I see that this is a really old post so forgive me, if my response is no longer relevant. I hate to be the pragmatist here as I know that for some this may be an idealogical decision. But wouldn’t it be better to have both parking and be near public transportation? As some have said, this may be a bigger issue in densely populated urban areas, but I think you have more options and potential for revenue if you seek both. Your real estate agent knows that the demand is greater for property with parking because it is more desirable. Our Orem, Utah location has benefited by both certainly, but probably more by its location, location, and location, that by any other factors. Sorry, if that offends.

From my point of view, yes parking matters for corporate clients and could be crucial during the acquisition process! If you focus on digital nomads though, parking is not a problem :slight_smile: