Conversion at end of tours

Hi all,

This is just a general question regarding your protocols and processes during tours, specifically whether or not you include a conversion opportunity.

In other words, do you offer or suggest the touring guest an opportunity to sign up on the spot? Do you follow up after the fact?

Our registration is currently done on the website here via a Paypal subscription: www.dallasfortwork.com/#joinUp

The reason I ask is that one of my staff suggested that we push this conversion point harder during tours and directly suggest they sign up on the spot by loading the page and putting it in front of them while they’re still in the space.

To me this seems like a bit of a pressure sale, but at the same time, every web designer will tell you how important call-to-action’s and driving conversion is on the web, so why behave different in person?

I see the logic of his argument, but can’t quite come up with a welcoming way to pull it off.

Any thoughts on this process in your own spaces are most welcome.

Thank you,
Oren

My two cents: If that happened to me during a tour, I’d look around wondering if I had mistakenly wandered into a vacation timeshare sales pitch. Then I’d run for the door.

Web CTAs at their best are a mechanism to take the one-way communication (website to visitor) and engage them to turn it into a two-way communication that leads to building a relationship. At their worst they’re a sales pitch.

You had the tour with the prospective member. I’m sure there’s been a back and forth discussion to find out how they heard about you, why they might want to become a member, what kind of work they do, etc. You already have the interaction going.

You’re building a relationship. If you were dating and on the first date the person proposed marriage, what would your reaction be? Or, what about the well-meaning friend that is on some great diet (for them) and they insist it will do wonders for you and you should get on it too? Either situation is uncomfortable.

I’d rather get a member that will be a part of our community instead of one that joins, never shows up and then leaves after a couple months. How we’ve been doing it is to have several small, qualifying hurdles:

• Take a tour. My stats show that people who join without having set foot inside our space rarely show up at all and don’t stay members more than 1-2 months.
  • Do a test drive (daypass). It’s pretty rare to find someone that will buy a car without doing a test drive first. Again, my stats show if they’ve never worked in a coworking community for even a day, they leave after 2-4 months. If they try us out with a daypass first, retention is much higher.
  • A couple days after the tour, our reservation system sends out a follow up email. I ask what they thought of our community and space, any likes/dislikes they have and any suggestions for improvements. I also invite them to come back for that test drive.

I’d rather give the tour and make them feel welcome whenever they’re ready, rather than push to close the deal and risk alienating them along with whoever else they share their story of the “pushy salesperson”. That’s not a reputation I want to start.

Glen Ferguson

Phone: 301-732-5165

Email: [email protected]

Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701

···

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM, [email protected] [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

This is just a general question regarding your protocols and processes during tours, specifically whether or not you include a conversion opportunity.

In other words, do you offer or suggest the touring guest an opportunity to sign up on the spot? Do you follow up after the fact?

Our registration is currently done on the website here via a Paypal subscription: www.dallasfortwork.com/#joinUp

The reason I ask is that one of my staff suggested that we push this conversion point harder during tours and directly suggest they sign up on the spot by loading the page and putting it in front of them while they’re still in the space.

To me this seems like a bit of a pressure sale, but at the same time, every web designer will tell you how important call-to-action’s and driving conversion is on the web, so why behave different in person?

I see the logic of his argument, but can’t quite come up with a welcoming way to pull it off.

Thank you,
Oren

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

At Collective Agency, when someone comes by, if they are interested, then I express my interest in them signing up and show them how to do that. I often sign people up when they come in, or when they call on the phone before coming in. I’ve found the experience is better and people seem happier overall, and the community here is better, when I do that.

Don’t be pushy or aggressive ever. Instead, I like people being assertive – expressing what they want to happen, if they can ask for one thing, what is it.

There’s a model I like for interaction styles which groups people into 4 types: driver, expressive, amiable, analytical. My natural style is analytical: I like time to think about things. People who are drivers are more likely to want to sign up upon walking in. To bring in revenue and community, my style is driver.

I’ve found that talking about why we exist and why I’m happy here, from a personal perspective, is most important to get people to join. I like a high-expectations, responsive style of leadership (democratic style) and people see that in talking from me, and we attract people who like that. (The typical coworking style is not that.)

Alex

···

Alex Linsker | Business Owner

Collective Agency

(503) 517-6900 office | (503) 369-9174 mobile

322 NW Sixth Ave, Suite 200 | Portland, Oregon 97209

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 8:13:54 AM UTC-7, Glen Ferguson wrote:

My two cents: If that happened to me during a tour, I’d look around wondering if I had mistakenly wandered into a vacation timeshare sales pitch. Then I’d run for the door.

Web CTAs at their best are a mechanism to take the one-way communication (website to visitor) and engage them to turn it into a two-way communication that leads to building a relationship. At their worst they’re a sales pitch.

You had the tour with the prospective member. I’m sure there’s been a back and forth discussion to find out how they heard about you, why they might want to become a member, what kind of work they do, etc. You already have the interaction going.

You’re building a relationship. If you were dating and on the first date the person proposed marriage, what would your reaction be? Or, what about the well-meaning friend that is on some great diet (for them) and they insist it will do wonders for you and you should get on it too? Either situation is uncomfortable.

I’d rather get a member that will be a part of our community instead of one that joins, never shows up and then leaves after a couple months. How we’ve been doing it is to have several small, qualifying hurdles:

• Take a tour. My stats show that people who join without having set foot inside our space rarely show up at all and don’t stay members more than 1-2 months.
  • Do a test drive (daypass). It’s pretty rare to find someone that will buy a car without doing a test drive first. Again, my stats show if they’ve never worked in a coworking community for even a day, they leave after 2-4 months. If they try us out with a daypass first, retention is much higher.
  • A couple days after the tour, our reservation system sends out a follow up email. I ask what they thought of our community and space, any likes/dislikes they have and any suggestions for improvements. I also invite them to come back for that test drive.

I’d rather give the tour and make them feel welcome whenever they’re ready, rather than push to close the deal and risk alienating them along with whoever else they share their story of the “pushy salesperson”. That’s not a reputation I want to start.

Glen Ferguson

Hi all,

Thank you,
Oren

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

I like to think of everything as an invitation. I don’t push but we’ve also worked out our flow so that certain things are easy to bring up. We first ask if they want to try the space out for the day or just look around. We insist everyone takes a free trial day to really understand what they are getting themselves in to. I can talk about coworking all day long but you really need to experience it.

We have an iPad at the front desk and on their first visit we take first/last/email. That’s it. When they come back we then work on figuring out what kind of membership works for them. Since they came back, we know they want to be there. Some don’t come back, but Nadine will automatically email them in a few weeks if they never did. It also emails people at the end of their first day to check in.

We take the “try it out” pitch a bit further and encourage people to check out the other spaces in town. We want to make sure they fully understand how we do coworking and all the choices they have available. This might not capture as many members as other methods, but it does ensure that everyone that does sign up is stoked to be here. That is priceless.

Jacob

···

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Alex Linsker [email protected] wrote:

At Collective Agency, when someone comes by, if they are interested, then I express my interest in them signing up and show them how to do that. I often sign people up when they come in, or when they call on the phone before coming in. I’ve found the experience is better and people seem happier overall, and the community here is better, when I do that.

Don’t be pushy or aggressive ever. Instead, I like people being assertive – expressing what they want to happen, if they can ask for one thing, what is it.

There’s a model I like for interaction styles which groups people into 4 types: driver, expressive, amiable, analytical. My natural style is analytical: I like time to think about things. People who are drivers are more likely to want to sign up upon walking in. To bring in revenue and community, my style is driver.

I’ve found that talking about why we exist and why I’m happy here, from a personal perspective, is most important to get people to join. I like a high-expectations, responsive style of leadership (democratic style) and people see that in talking from me, and we attract people who like that. (The typical coworking style is not that.)

Alex

Alex Linsker | Business Owner

Collective Agency

(503) 517-6900 office | (503) 369-9174 mobile

322 NW Sixth Ave, Suite 200 | Portland, Oregon 97209

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 8:13:54 AM UTC-7, Glen Ferguson wrote:

Glen Ferguson

Hi all,

Thank you,
Oren

Hi Oren. We’ve had a lot of internal discussion about tours recently. Our main issue isn’t conversions per se, but a) the time it takes to do tours on spec/the fact that it takes resource away from the front desk, and b) members (especially the ones in the dedicated glass fronted rooms) feel a bit like they are fish in an aquarium . Also we do get a lot of random people who have no real interest in joining (because we’re right in the centre). We don’t do any hard sell, but we do mention our 2 trial days, with no commitment at all, and many people take us up on this. We then stick to our no commitment promise (we do follow up, but not to ask them to join or even ask if they are thinking about it)

So overall we’re cool to do tours, but we’re aware that they can be a bit inefficient, and we want people to want to join afterwards, not to pressure them. This is what we’ve thrown into our discussion, and it looks like our solution is to do tours once a week at 2.45pm, in groups.

This means the following will happen;

• we think we’ll eliminate the non serious/curious and random people who wander in

• our members only have to have one group of people a week walking around on a tour

• we can plan resource accordingly to cover the front desk so we don’t have a situation where reception is empty during a tour

• we can introduce people to each other as we walk around, so during the tour these potential members are making new connections.

• the reason we’re doing it at 2.45 is that we have our very popular ‘Cake Wednesday’ member get together at 3, so a) the place is really busy at that time of the week which looks good, and b) we can end the tour offering cake and chat to our potential new members, and get them introduced to existing members.

We’re going to run this new policy in next few weeks

Cheers

Tom

···

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 02:18:17 UTC+1, [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you,
Oren

It depends.

If someone is interested in joining, offering to take them through the set up process rather than sending them off to figure it all out on their own is a welcoming thing to do. Plus you will have a chance to see how clear the user interface is and where there may be friction in the process.

This also gives you a chance to "demo" the online member network features.

K. Kern

Thanks all for your responses.
We definitely believe in the inviting over pushy philosophy.
We currently operate exactly as Glenn described: Tour, Free Day, Follow Up.
There is no doubt that the free day leads to better alignment, but ultimately we think one day is not enough to understand the power of the community as it’s merely a taste. We also have a we’ll refund your first month if you didn’t like it policy and think that’s a better way to promote alignment. A month is enough to recognize a fit, a day is probably not sufficient given the day-to-day variability in attendance.
This wasn’t really a question about what a coworking/member relationship should look like. That’s a different topic entirely.
I’m specifically trying to find out **if there are known methods to increase conversion of the pre-member into a member. **
I know we want to build better communities and that’s our goal first and foremost, but there is a legitimacy to the concept of strength in numbers. Furthermore, it’s impossible to guarantee that everyone who signs up (whether coaxed or invited) will integrate successfully into the community.
Members who do not fit will quit on their own. And this is where the marriage/dating analogy that Glenn used above breaks down. While we do on rare occasion remove problem members, it’s much more of a one-sided courting. Because of that and the fact that “breakup” carries no penalties and alimonies, I don’t think it’s pushy to ask for conversion on the spot.

On the other hand, allowing someone who is very interested to leave your space without signing up requires further action on their part. There are an infinite number of reasons of why that person may not come back and sign up and only a subset of those are related to fit and how they would behave as a community member.

Personally, I would much much rather have a bigger pool of members with the ability to remove bad apples than to have potentially good members walk due to a lack of trying on our part.

So to that end, what could we do to try harder to convert during tours?

···

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 8:18:17 PM UTC-5, [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you,
Oren

Hi again, sorry if I misread the question. In my opinion, it’s an odd one to answer, because the obvious answer to me is this: yes there are lots of known methods to increase conversions. In fact there is an entire industry/career based around the concept of need creation and opportunity closing- it’s called “sales”. If you’ve decided on an in person sales/conversion led approach to membership growth then maybe you need a professional salesperson? Or at buy some introductory books on sales (even on closing techniques)? Or go on on a sales course? There’s a ton of ways to increase conversions, and like anything else, all you need to do is learn and test them, and see what works for you. Maybe SPIN would work for you (find out their pain points/need during the tour, and focus on the implications if they don’t act now- “if you join today, you’ll start meeting people straight away and could fill up that 2 days a week you mentioned you needed to win more work”), maybe objection handling (“I understand that £XX a month might be a new expense, but maybe cancel that paid LinkedIn account/local paid networking group you told me doesn’t work for you and try this instead for 3 months”). Maybe time bound offers would work (“offer ends soon”), maybe a cap on membership numbers (“sign up now or miss out”), maybe a one time offer incentive (“buy today and get a month free”). They are ALL proven, but not all/any might work for you.

···

On 20 June 2015 at 02:19, [email protected] [email protected] wrote:

There is no doubt that the free day leads to better alignment, but ultimately we think one day is not enough to understand the power of the community as it’s merely a taste. We also have a we’ll refund your first month if you didn’t like it policy and think that’s a better way to promote alignment. A month is enough to recognize a fit, a day is probably not sufficient given the day-to-day variability in attendance.
This wasn’t really a question about what a coworking/member relationship should look like. That’s a different topic entirely.
I’m specifically trying to find out **if there are known methods to increase conversion of the pre-member into a member. **
I know we want to build better communities and that’s our goal first and foremost, but there is a legitimacy to the concept of strength in numbers. Furthermore, it’s impossible to guarantee that everyone who signs up (whether coaxed or invited) will integrate successfully into the community.
Members who do not fit will quit on their own. And this is where the marriage/dating analogy that Glenn used above breaks down. While we do on rare occasion remove problem members, it’s much more of a one-sided courting. Because of that and the fact that “breakup” carries no penalties and alimonies, I don’t think it’s pushy to ask for conversion on the spot.

On the other hand, allowing someone who is very interested to leave your space without signing up requires further action on their part. There are an infinite number of reasons of why that person may not come back and sign up and only a subset of those are related to fit and how they would behave as a community member.

Personally, I would much much rather have a bigger pool of members with the ability to remove bad apples than to have potentially good members walk due to a lack of trying on our part.

Hi all,

Thank you,
Oren

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/AKTx2_JxV-I/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Regards

Tom Lewis

Cowork Inc

We design, build and operate coworking spaces

Based at: The Guild Coworking Hub Bath BA1 5EB

Wired: 01225 583222

Wireless: 07920 584658

Internets: www.coworkinc.co.uk

Pictures: https://www.pinterest.com/coworkinc/

Words: https://twitter.com/coworkincuk

Those are some good suggestions Tom.

I don’t think we’ll be hiring a pro salesperson or anything like that and yes, sales is certainly the discipline this pertains to and yes, it’s a very well researched field.

But as you pointed out toward the end, “not all/any might work” in this context and that’s why I’m appealing to this group for suggestions on what has worked for them in their own spaces.

There are plenty of resources on sales in general, I’m curious if anyone’s developed any tried and true methods to selling in coworking outside of the traditional tour/trial/enroll methodology.

I’ll definitely be following up once we implement some of our initial strategies and let y’all know how they fared.

···

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 3:11:38 AM UTC-5, Tom Lewis wrote:

Hi again, sorry if I misread the question. In my opinion, it’s an odd one to answer, because the obvious answer to me is this: yes there are lots of known methods to increase conversions. In fact there is an entire industry/career based around the concept of need creation and opportunity closing- it’s called “sales”. If you’ve decided on an in person sales/conversion led approach to membership growth then maybe you need a professional salesperson? Or at buy some introductory books on sales (even on closing techniques)? Or go on on a sales course? There’s a ton of ways to increase conversions, and like anything else, all you need to do is learn and test them, and see what works for you. Maybe SPIN would work for you (find out their pain points/need during the tour, and focus on the implications if they don’t act now- “if you join today, you’ll start meeting people straight away and could fill up that 2 days a week you mentioned you needed to win more work”), maybe objection handling (“I understand that £XX a month might be a new expense, but maybe cancel that paid LinkedIn account/local paid networking group you told me doesn’t work for you and try this instead for 3 months”). Maybe time bound offers would work (“offer ends soon”), maybe a cap on membership numbers (“sign up now or miss out”), maybe a one time offer incentive (“buy today and get a month free”). They are ALL proven, but not all/any might work for you.

On 20 June 2015 at 02:19, [email protected] [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you,
Oren

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/AKTx2_JxV-I/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Regards

Tom Lewis

Cowork Inc

We design, build and operate coworking spaces

Based at: The Guild Coworking Hub Bath BA1 5EB

Wired: 01225 583222

Wireless: 07920 584658

Internets: www.coworkinc.co.uk

Pictures: https://www.pinterest.com/coworkinc/

Words: https://twitter.com/coworkincuk