Contract terms 6, 12, 18 months?

This is my first post but I have been gaining a wealth of knowledge from this group in setting up my cowork space (sbrc.co). For that I am very grateful to all!

My question is if coworking spaces lock contracts in by 6, 12, 18 month commitments or just go month-to-month?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

At www.coworking4you.de we go month-to-month and my experience is, this works perfect.

We will just finish our first year of coworking and so far we only lost two members (one did not pay his bills, so I stopped the contract / the other one moved to another city and we still have a good contact).

In my believe it is all about creating an environment, where people like to be. It is not about locking somebody in by a contract (which for sure is also more difficult to sell), it is about building a community, where people want to be a part of.

We did grow in the first year to 24 members and I think we will be double to more than double this in 2016.

Just an another comment, I had a look to your web page. I would recommend to open your member directory also to visitors, who are not logged in to your system. Our members love it, as it is an additional presentation of their skills to the region. I am not sure, where you can configure it. But I think Adrian vom Nexudus can tell you in a minute.

I wish you a great start and success for your space.

Bernd

···

Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2016 03:47:31 UTC+1 schrieb Bill DeBoer:

This is my first post but I have been gaining a wealth of knowledge from this group in setting up my cowork space (sbrc.co). For that I am very grateful to all!

My question is if coworking spaces lock contracts in by 6, 12, 18 month commitments or just go month-to-month?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

We once signed up a customer with a 18 month commitment and regretted that decision. This customer did not gel well with our existing members and we did not have the luxury to fire her and move on. In my experience one month commitment ensure best behavior of all parties: keeps the operator on his toes, keeps the customer well mannered and gives the necessary flexibility to both the customer as well as the operator.

···

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 8:17:31 AM UTC+5:30, Bill DeBoer wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Bill