Contest to Name the Co-working Space

My partner and I are opening a space soon in Fort Worth. The word is out, we’ve signed the lease and it’s official.
We have a small community already. We want to have a contest to name the space. The winner gets free co-working. Can you guys help me think through that. Is that crazy? Thanks.

1 - Crazy to invite your community to name the place? Not at all. In my experience, the best names have come from the community whose helped create the space. It’s just one more opportunity for people to feel a sense of ownership, which is a good thing.

2 - Crazy to do a contest? I’ve heard crazier…but remember that a contest creates a sense of competition amongst members, and not always in the best ways. I’d be curious who is doing the deciding on which name wins? How do you plan to handle disagreements over which name is best?

3 - Crazy to give away free coworking to the winner? I think it’s unnecessary, and at worst, counterproductive. Consider that the person who is likely to have the best name is also the most likely to HAPPILY pay for coworking. When your business is brand new and you’re starting by giving it away, you’re digging yourself a hole. I’d make almost anything else the prize.

-Alex

···

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Ann Thaxton [email protected] wrote:

My partner and I are opening a space soon in Fort Worth. The word is out, we’ve signed the lease and it’s official.
We have a small community already. We want to have a contest to name the space. The winner gets free co-working. Can you guys help me think through that. Is that crazy? Thanks.

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I have to agree with all of Alex’s points! Love your idea, and maybe just an open invitation to submit names for a candy bar or come to a brainstorming session & promise beer…

···

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:55:55 PM UTC-7, Ann Thaxton wrote: