Computer Monitors? --Should we offer them?

I have a potential member asking about a second monitor so he can plug in his laptop and see a larger screen. What is the consensus here? is it common to have monitors at each desk or does anyone offer them on a rental basis? And do you use desktop mounts or free standing?

Ideas welcome

We offer them as a standard part of our resident (dedicated) desks, which is our top tier membership. Every resident desk has one. If a resident member doesn’t want one, we remove it. They are the standard, free-standing monitors (though a well known local biotech giant has 4 desks at our space, and they mounted 4 of those ultra-wide wraparound monitors at each of their desks on one of those hydraulic arm things, hella slick). However, each resident member is free to bring in their own monitor if they prefer, for whatever reason.

We have a few extras in case one of our open space members (’‘hot desk’’) wants to use one, though we don’t actively publicize that. Though they are also welcome to bring in their own and store it on our premises. We also have a few meeting rooms here and sometimes we get a request for a desktop monitor instead of the wall-mounted monitors we have in each meeting room, so they come in handy for that too.

This is simply what we do, not gospel by any means.

···

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
415-488-6069

LinkedIn Twitter

Hey there!, AK!

We’ve never rented monitors, we did loan out free tabletop laptop stands to members as a value add and held on to their driver’s license until they returned the equipment—very popular request. We never had any problems and it was made clear that if the stand wasn’t returned, they’d be liable for the cost to replace it. It is common to have dual monitors but you’d have to consider the space need to store equipment that may be needed occasionally.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I’m curious to know if that’s being done so I’ll be monitoring this thread.

+Alicia

···

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM AK [email protected] wrote:

I have a potential member asking about a second monitor so he can plug in his laptop and see a larger screen. What is the consensus here? is it common to have monitors at each desk or does anyone offer them on a rental basis? And do you use desktop mounts or free standing?

Ideas welcome

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

So I provide monitors on my hot desks because our space has lots of designers, and they love them. The downside is that its a major factor in why a member would upgrade from a part time desk to a full time one.

If I could go back and do it again I would build way more offices, and every open plan desks would be (in Sydney prices) $500 a month for unlimited hot desk use or $600 a month to make that hot desk (with my monitor) as your full time desk.

···

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 2:18:01 AM UTC+11, AK wrote:

Ideas welcome

I do not provide monitors to permanent desk members but I do provide a collection of monitors for hot desk members because it’s a shared amenity that people love. I think renting monitors out is a nickle and dimming issue that just hurts the culture more then generating revenue. It’s like printing in my mind in that sense.

I have a pile of spare monitors that I’ve accumulated over the years, and I’ll be using them in my space.
I’ve talked with a few people (prospects for dedicated desks) who tell me they’ve got their own monitors to bring in, so they are good. I’ll use my many spares for the hotdesk crowd as an added incentive to return and stay connected with us.