Commissions on rentals by a real estate company or agent

Hi

I have a real estate agent that is interesting providing me clients for a coworking desk room (2X2 square meter cubicle) based on several months

Is it legal? how much percent per month can I give him? My space subscription is about 250USD /month. (ex: 10% will mean $25,00 per month commission).

Thank you.

Hi, Steve,

Whether it is legal or not will depend on where you are, laws very substantially. But in principle I can’t think of any reason it would not be.

Within the network of coworking spaces I operate, we generally pay the first month’s rent for new signups; but this assumes a longer term relationship. I would think hard about how to bring the new folks into the space, temporary coworkers have caused issues at many coworking spaces. Not to say itś a bad idea but I would think about how to handle it beforehand.

Cheers,

Jeannine

···

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 2:47:05 AM UTC+2, Steve Suard wrote:

Hi

I have a real estate agent that is interesting providing me clients for a coworking desk room (2X2 square meter cubicle) based on several months

Is it legal? how much percent per month can I give him? My space subscription is about 250USD /month. (ex: 10% will mean $25,00 per month commission).

Thank you.

Industry standard seems to be 10% commission of the initial contract, up to the first 12 months. Some prepay those 12 mos of commission; others pay 10% per month paid.

JEROME CHANG

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

Santa Monica | Culver City | Downtown LA |Pasadena

OPENING THIS DEC 2018: Larchmont

OPENING THIS JAN 2019: Long Beach

···

On Oct 26, 2018, at 2:59 AM, Jeannine van der Linden [email protected] wrote:

Hi, Steve,

Whether it is legal or not will depend on where you are, laws very substantially. But in principle I can’t think of any reason it would not be.

Within the network of coworking spaces I operate, we generally pay the first month’s rent for new signups; but this assumes a longer term relationship. I would think hard about how to bring the new folks into the space, temporary coworkers have caused issues at many coworking spaces. Not to say itś a bad idea but I would think about how to handle it beforehand.

Cheers,

Jeannine

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 2:47:05 AM UTC+2, Steve Suard wrote:

Hi

Thank you.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Steve,

Other things to keep in mind:
- will you pay comission on all your products
- is there a minimum term the prospect needs to sogn up for
- will you pay the broker when the tenant renews/renegotiates/expands
- who will you grant the comission when 2 brokers sent you the same prospect - typically it would be the broker who succesfully got the tenant to tour the space

Typically you would put together an infopack with your product/pricing/inventory and fee structure to send out to brokers.