Coffee brokers/wholesale recommendation

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Our space in Chicago has been on a weekly subscription to Metropolis coffee since we started 1.5 yrs ago. We've been ramping up our consumption as we add more people and we're now level at 4 lbs/week for $60. We're at a total headcount of 27 individuals.

Anyone have any recommendations on a coffee broker or a wholesaler that can get offer better pricing? Or simply suggestions on managing cost?

Many thanks in advance!

George

Ps. Chicago has a strong coffee culture with metropolis and intelligentsia being the two big roasters in town. Both are fantastic but expensive. Switching to dunkin donuts for their beans is not a viable option and I personally can't stand to drink it.

George Aye
773-263-2603

With the spaces in Ontario, we’ve worked together to leverage our numbers for collective buying for coffee.

And while really only some Toronto spaces take advantage of it (spaces in other cities indicated they were interested, but have something local that works for them) it’s still working together with other spaces.

We use Full of Beans here in Toronto, who roasts their own, and I approached the owner about wholesale pricing. She’s thrilled to be able to offer her coffee in many coworking spaces, so she gave me some great prices, in a range depending on how many we purchase at a time. It can go down as low as $12/lb - not bad for fair trade organic coffee roasted and delivered within a day or two, while supporting a local business.

All I did was propose it to the group (which was at our annual peer learning conference for CoworkingOntario) and some spaces came on board. I offered to manage the program, set up an order page, and sent it out to the group. I invoice them for the coffee, place the order, and deliver it or have them pick it up from my space.

I’d say band together with your fellow space owners and operators and see how much coffee you go through in a week and shop around that data to roasters or coffee subscription services to see what sort of discount you can get collectively.

r.

···

We’re located at 2241 Dundas St W, 3rd floor

(between Bloor and Roncesvalles)

Find us online:

Website/blog and Newsletter, Twitter,

Facebook, Google+, Yelp, and LinkedIn

We’re a proud member of CoworkingToronto,

CoworkingOntario, and CoworkingCanada!

On 19 August 2014 09:48, George Aye [email protected] wrote:

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Our space in Chicago has been on a weekly subscription to Metropolis coffee since we started 1.5 yrs ago. We’ve been ramping up our consumption as we add more people and we’re now level at 4 lbs/week for $60. We’re at a total headcount of 27 individuals.

Anyone have any recommendations on a coffee broker or a wholesaler that can get offer better pricing? Or simply suggestions on managing cost?

Many thanks in advance!

George

Ps. Chicago has a strong coffee culture with metropolis and intelligentsia being the two big roasters in town. Both are fantastic but expensive. Switching to dunkin donuts for their beans is not a viable option and I personally can’t stand to drink it.

George Aye

773-263-2603

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hey George,

Great question - this is something that we’re always juggling/balancing because like you and your members, quality coffee is a MUST…but the price adds up.

What’s worked really well for us has been to reach out to some of the smaller high-end roasters and let them know about the coffee culture at Indy Hall. Rather than asking for discounts or sponsorship, we invite them to participate, just like we would any other community member. You better believe that with the indie roasters where the owner and the roaster aren’t separated by a layer of management, there’s a TON of excitement to connect with other coffee lovers face to face.

We’ve done everything from inviting roasters to come to our parties with alcoholic & non alcoholic coffee drinks (including small batch coffee beers), to smaller scale “cuppings” which are basically like a wine tasting for coffee. The cuppings are especially awesome because they get to see people appreciate their product, and members get an education on coffee.

Once you’ve gotten to know them, and they’ve gotten to know you and your members, buying local beans at wholesale prices without buying HUGE orders gets really, really easy.

We actually end up spreading our coffee order across a couple of roasters for variety, too, keeping more local relationships active. Once every year or so, one of our members hosts a blind coffee taste-off that includes a bunch of roasters. We let the roasters know about it, and they get excited about participating…they’ll usually even send us some beans for free for the taste-off to get in the running.

I’d avoid the approach of “we’re a huge community and we’ll talk about you so hook us up”. Really go all in on the relationships.

And best of all…this stuff is fun. Coffee culture, like any craft culture, tends to have an appreciation for their local communities.

-Alex

···

/ah
indyhall.org

coworking in philadelphia

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM, George Aye [email protected] wrote:

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Our space in Chicago has been on a weekly subscription to Metropolis coffee since we started 1.5 yrs ago. We’ve been ramping up our consumption as we add more people and we’re now level at 4 lbs/week for $60. We’re at a total headcount of 27 individuals.

Many thanks in advance!

George

Ps. Chicago has a strong coffee culture with metropolis and intelligentsia being the two big roasters in town. Both are fantastic but expensive. Switching to dunkin donuts for their beans is not a viable option and I personally can’t stand to drink it.

George Aye

773-263-2603

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

How marvellous of you to bring this up.

I was recently approached by a business involved in my Amsterdam space, Moyee Coffee. They have a Fair Chain thing going on. We have been talking about how they can get involved with Open Coworking; we are in preliminary talks and so nothing has been given any kind of shape at all. They are nevertheless intrigued by the possibilities and that is as far as we have gotten.

Until now the discussion has centered around exactly what Alex says, they don’t really want a “we talk you up and get a discount” kind of relationship but are interested in the long term. And I am not at all interested in sending a pitch to the community, I don’t think that is what I am for. And the logistics of course are both daunting and interesting.

The coffee, I have to tell you, is FAB.

So I am just throwing that out there as food for thought. Maybe I should set up a list for folks interested in taking this particular notion further? Or should we just get a show of hands? :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Jeannine

···

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:48:20 PM UTC+2, George Aye wrote:

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Many thanks in advance!

George

George Aye

773-263-2603

Where can they sell/ship to?

···

Jacob

Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com - (206) 323-6500

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Jeannine [email protected] wrote:

I was recently approached by a business involved in my Amsterdam space, Moyee Coffee. They have a Fair Chain thing going on. We have been talking about how they can get involved with Open Coworking; we are in preliminary talks and so nothing has been given any kind of shape at all. They are nevertheless intrigued by the possibilities and that is as far as we have gotten.

Until now the discussion has centered around exactly what Alex says, they don’t really want a “we talk you up and get a discount” kind of relationship but are interested in the long term. And I am not at all interested in sending a pitch to the community, I don’t think that is what I am for. And the logistics of course are both daunting and interesting.

So I am just throwing that out there as food for thought. Maybe I should set up a list for folks interested in taking this particular notion further? Or should we just get a show of hands? :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Jeannine

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Many thanks in advance!

George

George Aye

773-263-2603

Well, that’s what we are talking about. In principle anywhere of course, but coffee beans weigh something. If they can get them out of Africa (which they do) then I feel confident thaet can get them to the US. :slight_smile:

I have a baby pilot project going in my spaces whereby we share the costs of logistics and fulfillment for webshops and import/export. So the costs of this kind of project stay low by sharing them. That was sort of the takeoff point for some of our discussions.

If you are interested, I can certainly get you with them, or if more folks are interested we can really get busy.

Maybe we should open a Coworking Customs along with the Coworking Visa. :slight_smile:

···

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:20:53 PM UTC+2, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Jacob

Cheers,

Jeannine

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Many thanks in advance!

George

George Aye

773-263-2603

Does anyone who buys coffee in bulk also have a lot of member contributions of potluck food and members bringing in their favorite bags of coffee often? I tend to have staff buy across the street one bag at a time because often members then bring in bags of their favorite coffee, which is then appreciated by other members and talked about.

Does anyone buy fresh fruit or vegetables for members? For around 2 years we had weekly fresh fruit and vegetables, but I wasn’t sure if that was increasing perceived value or not. It didn’t seem to increase members bringing potluck food, which I like as one of the best ways of sharing and appreciation (for bringing favorite things).

Does anyone do theme days? Halloween has been one of our more popular open house days, maybe because it’s a costume open house (or maybe because it’s after the start of autumn and before the holiday season). I’m wondering about other theme days we might have.

Thanks,

Alex

···

Alex Linsker

Collective Agency’s Community Organizer / Proprietor

(503) 517-6900 http://collectiveagency.co

Tax and Conversation’s Statewide Community Organizer

(503) 517-6904 taxandconversation.com

(503) 369-9174 mobile (503) 517-6901 fax

322 NW Sixth Ave, Suite 200, Portland, Oregon 97209

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:36:33 AM UTC-7, Jeannine wrote:

Well, that’s what we are talking about. In principle anywhere of course, but coffee beans weigh something. If they can get them out of Africa (which they do) then I feel confident thaet can get them to the US. :slight_smile:

I have a baby pilot project going in my spaces whereby we share the costs of logistics and fulfillment for webshops and import/export. So the costs of this kind of project stay low by sharing them. That was sort of the takeoff point for some of our discussions.

If you are interested, I can certainly get you with them, or if more folks are interested we can really get busy.

Maybe we should open a Coworking Customs along with the Coworking Visa. :slight_smile:

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:20:53 PM UTC+2, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Jacob

Cheers,

Jeannine

Dear coworkjng gurus,

Many thanks in advance!

George

George Aye

773-263-2603