Co-working Spaces in Suburban (west) Philadelphia

(I hate to start a new topic, and if this isn’t the appropriate group, please do be kind and point me to some others. I’ve done done my keyword searching homework to find other threads on this subject – I found one and emailed the person, but I was hoping to find more!)

I am looking to join (not start) a co-working space in west philadelphia suburbs. Some cities/towns of interest: Upper Darby, Drexel Hill, Havertown, Narberth, Overbrook, Penn Wynne, Haverford, Wayne, Villanova, Wynnewood. If possible, I’d be interested in a science-based or interest working group.

Being completely new to co-working*, I have trouble just locating where co-working spaces exist! It seems almost like speakeasies, you know someone who knows the place with the dark red door and password and then you find a co-working group. I’ve been reading articles online and locating ones that are pretty big in the downtown/center of Philadelphia. I tried searching craigslist in philadelphia area, but the words “coworking” and “co-working” came up with no hits. It would be great to have a website like the housing/apt sites (Zillow etc) but for finding co-working spaces. Or a site like match.com but match.cowork.com to find a co-working space that suits your needs.

*When I say “completely new to co-working”, I mean new to purchasing a space or paying to join a community working space. The office environment I come from was very much like a co-working space. We had an open floor plan, desks were dedicated spaces on large bench like tables with a small cabinet space overhead, we had small conference rooms if needing to video or phone conference with remote groups and some amenities (free coffee/tea, photocopier/scanner). We mainly worked on separate projects but with a related background of genetics/genomics/bioinformatics/sequencing analysis.

If anyone has insight, clues, tips for finding a science-ish (I could take that or leave it, more important is to find a space with friendly and relaxed co-working people) co-working space in Philadelphia western suburbs, please let me know – or another group I should post to about it – or , dread, a topic thread in this group I overlooked!!

Thank you much,

Deb

Please tell me it’s going to have a Fresh Prince of Bell Air theme…

···

Aaron Cruikshank

Principal, CRUIKSHANK

Phone: 778.908.4560

email: [email protected]

web: cruikshank.me

twitter: @cruikshank

book a meeting: doodle.com/cruikshank

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/cruikshank

On May 12, 2015 3:57 PM, “Deb Irene” [email protected] wrote:

(I hate to start a new topic, and if this isn’t the appropriate group, please do be kind and point me to some others. I’ve done done my keyword searching homework to find other threads on this subject – I found one and emailed the person, but I was hoping to find more!)

I am looking to join (not start) a co-working space in west philadelphia suburbs. Some cities/towns of interest: Upper Darby, Drexel Hill, Havertown, Narberth, Overbrook, Penn Wynne, Haverford, Wayne, Villanova, Wynnewood. If possible, I’d be interested in a science-based or interest working group.

Being completely new to co-working*, I have trouble just locating where co-working spaces exist! It seems almost like speakeasies, you know someone who knows the place with the dark red door and password and then you find a co-working group. I’ve been reading articles online and locating ones that are pretty big in the downtown/center of Philadelphia. I tried searching craigslist in philadelphia area, but the words “coworking” and “co-working” came up with no hits. It would be great to have a website like the housing/apt sites (Zillow etc) but for finding co-working spaces. Or a site like match.com but match.cowork.com to find a co-working space that suits your needs.

*When I say “completely new to co-working”, I mean new to purchasing a space or paying to join a community working space. The office environment I come from was very much like a co-working space. We had an open floor plan, desks were dedicated spaces on large bench like tables with a small cabinet space overhead, we had small conference rooms if needing to video or phone conference with remote groups and some amenities (free coffee/tea, photocopier/scanner). We mainly worked on separate projects but with a related background of genetics/genomics/bioinformatics/sequencing analysis.

If anyone has insight, clues, tips for finding a science-ish (I could take that or leave it, more important is to find a space with friendly and relaxed co-working people) co-working space in Philadelphia western suburbs, please let me know – or another group I should post to about it – or , dread, a topic thread in this group I overlooked!!

Thank you much,

Deb

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hey Deb!

Sounds like you’ve got a great idea of what you’re looking for (and for what it’s worth, I think you’d love the people at Indy Hall but I completely understand not wanting to cruise into the city).

There’s lots of coworking directories (arguably most of them replicating each other’s efforts) but one of the big complaints I’ve always had about them is that they’re more focused on finding a desk than finding the community you’re looking for. I think finding a coworking space is LOT more like dating than looking for real estate listings.

With that said, though I try to keep my finger on the pulse in the Philadelphia region, I don’t know of anything quite like what you described in the Philly suburbs you named.

Here’s what I DO know of:

• a space in Phoenixville that changed hands and closed (Skylight Coworking->Dream Factory)

• another in West Chester that closed (ReworkWC)

• Walnut St Labs is in West Chester, but it doesn’t really fit the description of what you’re looking for (more startup incubator speed).

• And the folks at Headroom in Media could be worth a visit, though I haven’t personally been to see if it matches the “relaxed, friendly” vibe you’re looking for :slight_smile:

If I hear of anything else, I’ll be sure to give you a shout! In the mean time, if you DO ever want to drop by Indy Hall on a day you’re venturing down to Old City, please consider this an open personal invite!

-Alex

···

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Deb Irene [email protected] wrote:

Thank you much,

Deb

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast