Buying Desks for new Coworking Space

Hi all,

I want to start by thanking everyone for this amazing source of collaboration, ideas & information!

My name is Jon and I am opening a coworking facility in White Plains, NY (just north of Manhattan) with a partner and an investor. I’ve laid out a basic floorplan after reading countless posts/threads in this group and am happy about the overall layout - so now it’s time to estimate a budget for the actual desks and chairs for the investor. I’ve looked at other coworking space interiors, Pinterest boards of ‘open floorplan offices’, etc. and have found some great concepts, but can’t seem to find a good source for getting pricing and options. Can anyone tell me how/where they found their desks? The first purchase of desks will be for the open concept area of our space, so my initial thought is to have 3-4 long table groupings (18 - 24’ in length) at which members could sit on both sides.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Hey Jon,

Congrats on the new venture! I didn’t read anything about the community there. Do you have potential members lined up to join in your adventures? I wouldn’t worry too much about desks and chairs, (accessories, I call them) although I would say spend more on chairs, but encourage you to see the value and cost through the lens of the people you will be growing this with you, and I’m not talking about partners and investors. Community is everything. Let them tell you the desks and decor they’d like. If you have a genuine Coworking community along with you, the accessory stuff is easy.

···

If you are rocking the community stuff, then go cheap on study desks and spend more on the 4-8 hour chairs,

Desks at ikea. Chairs from you local Office Depot.

Face desks towards each other and never facing a wall.

Create pods of 2-4 or long rows of facing tables where 4-8 could sit on either side.

Create a flow around the space too. I find if its all the same it feels a bit corporate.

Other than that, let the members design it. There is no formula.

Peace,

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 24, 2016, at 8:22 PM, Jonathan Manierre [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,

I want to start by thanking everyone for this amazing source of collaboration, ideas & information!

My name is Jon and I am opening a coworking facility in White Plains, NY (just north of Manhattan) with a partner and an investor. I’ve laid out a basic floorplan after reading countless posts/threads in this group and am happy about the overall layout - so now it’s time to estimate a budget for the actual desks and chairs for the investor. I’ve looked at other coworking space interiors, Pinterest boards of ‘open floorplan offices’, etc. and have found some great concepts, but can’t seem to find a good source for getting pricing and options. Can anyone tell me how/where they found their desks? The first purchase of desks will be for the open concept area of our space, so my initial thought is to have 3-4 long table groupings (18 - 24’ in length) at which members could sit on both sides.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.