Building the community

Hey Guys!

Tomorrow is my first meet and greets for my coworking community. I am building the community before acquiring the actual space. What are some topics or processes I should cover tomorrow during the meet and greet? Any advice for topics to be discussed? Ice breaker techniques?

Thanks,

Trey

How have you been building your community? Is it via a Meetup? If so, then you don’t have their actual email addresses yet (yes your messages do go directly to their email inboxes, but Meetup will not give you their email addresses per se). So have a sign-in list ready asking people for their email addresses if you don’t have them already.

One of the first questions to ask yourself is, how much do you want the community setting the culture vs you setting the culture? If you want to set the culture, then don’t ask the group about such things.

Culture can be things like:

  • Casual dress or business casual

  • Communal fridge or not

  • Quiet space (where normal conversations but no phone calls are allowed), or are phone calls in the shared space ok? Phone calls get loud, and some people tend to talk really loud in cell phone conversations and video chats (I’m not sure why but some people feel they need to raise their voice during these conversations and they seem to do so unconsciously). They are so loud that even when doing so in a meeting room with the door closed, the sound will still travel throughout the space (and this may serve as a note to think upon when building your space out, how soundproofed do you want your meeting rooms/private offices/phone booths to be…)

  • Background music or no background music? If yes, then a more neutral ambient music, or louder style like wework spaces in big cities? (super obnoxious imho). This is a sticky topic because all kinds of people will want different kinds of music and you’ll probably never get an agreement, so I would not leave this up to the group and instead be draconian and don’t even bring it up, just choose a ‘‘safe’’ neutral ambient music, there are plenty of free ambient channels streaming online, or just pay for pandora or spotify or what not…

  • Do people want one of those snack services, or fridges that come pre-stocked with snacks? If so, then that means adding those charges to their membership fees.

  • Free printing within reason (add basic charges to each member’s fees), or a pay per copy fee for the printer?

  • Seafood or no seafood allowed in the microwave? (gets really stinky, we had to establish a no-seafood-in-the-nuker rule at our space)

  • Gender neutral bathrooms or not? We have 2 and anyone can use one or the other. No special signs needed, just indicate ‘‘bathroom’’ on each door. We tell everyone in their initial tour ‘‘here are the bathrooms, use either one’’. Keeps it simple yet accommodating to all.

  • Do you want your phone booths to be on a booking-only basis, or first come first serve? If the latter, make sure you establish a ‘‘no camping out’’ rule for your phone booths (i.e. as soon as people are done with their phone call or video chat, get out).

These are just a few of the things that you may or may not want to ask your group about.

···

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
415-488-6069

LinkedIn Twitter

There are step by step guides for your first meetings in my book at https://www.diycoworking.com/shop/ultimate-coworking-launch-sequence-ebook

Angel

ps. gather email addresses!

···

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 2:46:33 AM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:

Hey Guys!

Tomorrow is my first meet and greets for my coworking community. I am building the community before acquiring the actual space. What are some topics or processes I should cover tomorrow during the meet and greet? Any advice for topics to be discussed? Ice breaker techniques?

Thanks,

Trey

Thanks I actually bought your book and it has helped me big time. Yesterday’s meet up was not what I expected. One persons showed. lol.

···

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

There are step by step guides for your first meetings in my book at https://www.diycoworking.com/shop/ultimate-coworking-launch-sequence-ebook

Angel

ps. gather email addresses!

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 2:46:33 AM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:

Hey Guys!

Tomorrow is my first meet and greets for my coworking community. I am building the community before acquiring the actual space. What are some topics or processes I should cover tomorrow during the meet and greet? Any advice for topics to be discussed? Ice breaker techniques?

Thanks,

Trey

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

So what happened with that one person, Trey?

I think what you’re experiencing is pretty common: launching a coworking meeetup is a lot easier than launching a coworking space but both are fundamentally the same thing:

A way to bring people together.

Meetups actually step two (or three or ten or eighty or one hundred and fourty).

Step one is actually more like what you experienced: meeting and getting to know one person! And then another one. And then another. And then sometimes two or three.

Looking for the things they have in common. And then telling them about each other. Finding ways and reasons to connect. Then convening them based on what you learn.

So I hope you had a nice time getting to know that one person, Trey. They might be your first member.

I remember the first time I had dinner/drinks with the person who became our first member. He’s still a member today, 12 years later!

-Alex

···

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 8:25 AM Trey Downes [email protected] wrote:

Thanks I actually bought your book and it has helped me big time. Yesterday’s meet up was not what I expected. One persons showed. lol.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

There are step by step guides for your first meetings in my book at https://www.diycoworking.com/shop/ultimate-coworking-launch-sequence-ebook

Angel

ps. gather email addresses!

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 2:46:33 AM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:

Hey Guys!

Tomorrow is my first meet and greets for my coworking community. I am building the community before acquiring the actual space. What are some topics or processes I should cover tomorrow during the meet and greet? Any advice for topics to be discussed? Ice breaker techniques?

Thanks,

Trey

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

It was a good step for us. Just putting into action was a good feeling. You’re totally right. It starts with one.

···

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:04 PM Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

So what happened with that one person, Trey?

I think what you’re experiencing is pretty common: launching a coworking meeetup is a lot easier than launching a coworking space but both are fundamentally the same thing:

A way to bring people together.

Meetups actually step two (or three or ten or eighty or one hundred and fourty).

Step one is actually more like what you experienced: meeting and getting to know one person! And then another one. And then another. And then sometimes two or three.

Looking for the things they have in common. And then telling them about each other. Finding ways and reasons to connect. Then convening them based on what you learn.

So I hope you had a nice time getting to know that one person, Trey. They might be your first member.

I remember the first time I had dinner/drinks with the person who became our first member. He’s still a member today, 12 years later!

-Alex

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 8:25 AM Trey Downes [email protected] wrote:

Thanks I actually bought your book and it has helped me big time. Yesterday’s meet up was not what I expected. One persons showed. lol.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

There are step by step guides for your first meetings in my book at https://www.diycoworking.com/shop/ultimate-coworking-launch-sequence-ebook

Angel

ps. gather email addresses!

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 2:46:33 AM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:

Hey Guys!

Tomorrow is my first meet and greets for my coworking community. I am building the community before acquiring the actual space. What are some topics or processes I should cover tomorrow during the meet and greet? Any advice for topics to be discussed? Ice breaker techniques?

Thanks,

Trey

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.