Are Restaurants Becoming Coworking Spaces?

The article In First, American Spent More in Restaurants Than Grocery Stores is interesting on several levels. But this quote really caught my eye:

Weinberg also noted that nearby companies have begun using her restaurants as meeting places, which she believes is part of a larger trend. “We never used to open our restaurants between lunch and dinner, because it didn’t seem worthwhile,” she explained. “But we do now because people use them for business meetings. They’d rather do it at our communal table, drinking a cocktail, than their offices.”

Interesting trend - anyone else seeing this?

Steve

True story: in many ways, Indy Hall was born in a restaurant.

We were doing our touring Jelly community bootstrap process and looking for new places to hang out. A new restaurant had opened and I reached out to them: “hey, we’re a community of freelancers and entrepreneurs who work together once a week-ish. I know you’re technically closed during the day, but if anyone’s around doing biz tasks and we wouldn’t be in the way during your setup…I can promise you a captive audience for happy hour.”

They said yes, admitting me me later that other orgs had approached them but were too focused on wanting special deals and stuff. We wanted to help fill their barstools and they liked that.

That was the beginning of a long relationship with them, their staff, and their connection to the creative community that has made them a go-to hangout for so many people.

-Alex

···

On Friday, March 6, 2015, Steve King [email protected] wrote:

The article In First, American Spent More in Restaurants Than Grocery Stores is interesting on several levels. But this quote really caught my eye:

Weinberg also noted that nearby companies have begun using her restaurants as meeting places, which she believes is part of a larger trend. “We never used to open our restaurants between lunch and dinner, because it didn’t seem worthwhile,” she explained. “But we do now because people use them for business meetings. They’d rather do it at our communal table, drinking a cocktail, than their offices.”

Steve

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

Here in Grand Rapids, MI hotel lobbies have become a spot for business meetings and working away from the home or office. Restaurants feel much closer to coworking than lobbies since the appeal of the latter is they are nearly always empty and quiet.

-Laura

···

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 3:16:11 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

Steve

We at vaga.co have had several meetings or workshops booked in restaurants that open their doors in the morning hours (before lunch) or midday (in dinner-only restaurants). It is definitely great meeting space that is otherwise idle. And often there are people at the restaurant anyways (cleaning or prepping for the day).

···

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 3:16:11 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

Steve

I love this article and the conversations it sparks -- thanks so much for sharing! We at Workfrom.co have seen a rise in the number of restaurants shared as good solo & group work spots -- whether for that meeting or simply as a reliable place to squeeze in some work on your route home. More folks are also looking at whether a place serves food as a criteria when looking for a place to workfrom -- and I can only guess it's for many of the reasons shared in the article.

Cheers,

.j.

Jewel Mlnarik, https://Workfrom.co

The best places to do remote work, take meetings, study and stay productive. Be free to work anywhere! @workfromco @juellez