Anyone use Meshwork?

Hi All,

We are thinking of switching coworking software. We currently use Cobot, and while there are a lot of great things about that, there are still limitations. We have talked many times with product development and customer service. While they are open to feedback, there are still things we want out of our coworking software that have not come to fruition. For example communication with and between members (no need to use Slack), doing room bookings and invoicing for non-member revenue, some funky stuff with user experience, etc. Just got a Meshwork demo and it seemed pretty great. Some of these features aren’t live yet, but if they live up to their promises, seems they should have most everything we need with a few shortages in customization on a few items, but more of the items we are currently missing.

Anyone have any experience using Meshwork or any of the other new software providers? There was a thread on Nexudus about 3 years ago, but I think that was the most recent discussion on it. We want to be able to do all of our billing, member communication, CRM, have members be able to manage their own membership, etc. all in one place with the ability to customize how you want to bill and the limitations you want to be able to set for your members.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

Afraid I don’t have experience of Meshwork (we use Nexudus) but I have noticed that a) there’s a lot of new systems coming out now/soon, and b) most of them aren’t finished yet. In my opinion, now isn’t the time to switch, but in 6 months the market is going to up a gear and there will be a ton of next gen systems for us all to look at

Cheers

Tom

···

On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 16:02:46 UTC+1, Stacy Kessler wrote:

Hi All,

We are thinking of switching coworking software. We currently use Cobot, and while there are a lot of great things about that, there are still limitations. We have talked many times with product development and customer service. While they are open to feedback, there are still things we want out of our coworking software that have not come to fruition. For example communication with and between members (no need to use Slack), doing room bookings and invoicing for non-member revenue, some funky stuff with user experience, etc. Just got a Meshwork demo and it seemed pretty great. Some of these features aren’t live yet, but if they live up to their promises, seems they should have most everything we need with a few shortages in customization on a few items, but more of the items we are currently missing.

Anyone have any experience using Meshwork or any of the other new software providers? There was a thread on Nexudus about 3 years ago, but I think that was the most recent discussion on it. We want to be able to do all of our billing, member communication, CRM, have members be able to manage their own membership, etc. all in one place with the ability to customize how you want to bill and the limitations you want to be able to set for your members.

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

Swiss Army Knives look great and are extremely useful in an emergency. But how would you feel depending on one to solve the same series of problems every day? Switching to using another multitool might improve things a little but for how long?

Member communication, room bookings, CRM and billing are worlds apart. I can’t imagine any one provider being able to do a good job of all of them in one go.

Meshwork might be able to put together something that works well for a small number of spaces. But those spaces would have to work within a very strict set constraints. If they try to be all things for all coworking spaces you’ll have to put up with ever increasing complexity in the user experience.

I’m much happier using simple single purpose tools that do a really good job of solving one or two specific problems

Why not consider different providers for each of the problems you have?

···

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 at 16:02, Stacy Kessler [email protected] wrote:

Hi All,

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I’m with Jon on this one. The all-in-one approach just doesn’t make sense to me.

Instead, we’ve assembled a toolchain of individual apps that let us incrementally improve and focus our efforts where we know it’ll get us the most results. This reddit comment I made about a year ago is slightly outdated, but includes a large part of our toolkit. https://www.reddit.com/r/CoWorking/comments/30ltlx/coworking_software_recommendations/cptm1og/

Case in point - I’ve been hunting for a tool to handle a collaborative community calendar for YEARS and finally found it!

One recent addition that’s missing from that comment is Teamup Calendar, which is the BEST calendar tool I’ve found by a longshot. Google Calendar is a common default, but it requires giving people permission to be able to add things to it and even then, there’s no audit trail of activity. Teamup is awesome because it doesn’t even require logins - it uses URLs for permissions e.g. admins get a special URL, members get a different special URL, and the pubic website gets yet another special URL.

As a result, members can add stuff to the calendar without needing to remember a login, meaning more stuff ends up on the calendar and more people actually LOOK at the calendar, too. We can embed the calendar in our member site, directly link to it, and people can still subscribe to the feeds in their iCal or Google Calendars. We have members across time zones who even remarked how awesome it is that Teamup automatically adjusts for time zones.

It’s so f’ing awesome. It’s so affordable. And we’d never get to use it if we relied on an all-in-one!

Ironically, the one thing missing from our kit right now is a membership manager that just does membership management. We’ve definitely outgrown our current solution, but every other option I look at is trying to do a dozen things at once and none of them especially well! :frowning: And I can’t help but laugh every time a new app launches that promises “build more community” and then designs their entire app around managing desks. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So much love for my software peeps - for real, it’s the world I came from before I started Indy Hall. But I’d looooove to see more single-serving apps that pick one problem and solve it REALLY well. There’s a lot of money to be made there.

-Alex

···

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Jonathan Markwell [email protected] wrote:

Swiss Army Knives look great and are extremely useful in an emergency. But how would you feel depending on one to solve the same series of problems every day? Switching to using another multitool might improve things a little but for how long?

Member communication, room bookings, CRM and billing are worlds apart. I can’t imagine any one provider being able to do a good job of all of them in one go.

Meshwork might be able to put together something that works well for a small number of spaces. But those spaces would have to work within a very strict set constraints. If they try to be all things for all coworking spaces you’ll have to put up with ever increasing complexity in the user experience.

I’m much happier using simple single purpose tools that do a really good job of solving one or two specific problems

Hi All,

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Alex - great post on your toolkit and I may need to checkout that calendar tool since we use Google calendar now instead of the one in Cobot. As a solo owner-operator, one tool just simplifies so much for me, which is why I’ve been trying to move away from multiple platforms instead of separating them out. The thought of going out and finding/transitioning to the best tool for everything sounds exhausting! But I can totally see the benefits, especially as we grow, and maybe I’ll be there one day. I’m probably on this mindset because Cobot is close to everything that’s the most important to us, just without the great user experience, member communication, and lacking invoicing for non-member transactions (room bookings, daily drop-ins). I feel like it’s so close that I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that something tops it. I know it won’t be perfect at everything, but if it can do member management, room booking, billing/invoicing (member & non-member) and communication well (and with a better user interface), I’m sold. haha. That does sound like a ridiculously absurd request when I type it out… I may take a second look at some of the things you suggested.

Anyone else find a close-enough, most-in-one tool? Anyone else want to share their separate-and-best-in-category toolkit list?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

···

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 11:02:46 AM UTC-4, Stacy Kessler wrote:

Hi All,

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

Alex, what do you mean by membership managemnet? What do you want it to do?

···

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 4:39:22 PM UTC+2, Alex Hillman wrote:

I’m with Jon on this one. The all-in-one approach just doesn’t make sense to me.

Instead, we’ve assembled a toolchain of individual apps that let us incrementally improve and focus our efforts where we know it’ll get us the most results. This reddit comment I made about a year ago is slightly outdated, but includes a large part of our toolkit. https://www.reddit.com/r/CoWorking/comments/30ltlx/coworking_software_recommendations/cptm1og/

Case in point - I’ve been hunting for a tool to handle a collaborative community calendar for YEARS and finally found it!

One recent addition that’s missing from that comment is Teamup Calendar, which is the BEST calendar tool I’ve found by a longshot. Google Calendar is a common default, but it requires giving people permission to be able to add things to it and even then, there’s no audit trail of activity. Teamup is awesome because it doesn’t even require logins - it uses URLs for permissions e.g. admins get a special URL, members get a different special URL, and the pubic website gets yet another special URL.

As a result, members can add stuff to the calendar without needing to remember a login, meaning more stuff ends up on the calendar and more people actually LOOK at the calendar, too. We can embed the calendar in our member site, directly link to it, and people can still subscribe to the feeds in their iCal or Google Calendars. We have members across time zones who even remarked how awesome it is that Teamup automatically adjusts for time zones.

It’s so f’ing awesome. It’s so affordable. And we’d never get to use it if we relied on an all-in-one!

Ironically, the one thing missing from our kit right now is a membership manager that just does membership management. We’ve definitely outgrown our current solution, but every other option I look at is trying to do a dozen things at once and none of them especially well! :frowning: And I can’t help but laugh every time a new app launches that promises “build more community” and then designs their entire app around managing desks. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So much love for my software peeps - for real, it’s the world I came from before I started Indy Hall. But I’d looooove to see more single-serving apps that pick one problem and solve it REALLY well. There’s a lot of money to be made there.

-Alex

Hi All,

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

Hi Stacy!

We use MeshWork and love it. It's fairly new but growing. I dig the features and it works great for my space. I reviewed a few management systems. I just love the connection and community of MeshWork within their team and the management system.

E. Ramsey
www.twoteneast.co

Hola everyone. Hopefully I’m not butting into the conversation, but I did just want to quickly share the reasoning behind part of what we are trying to do with Meshwork. I totally get that software platforms that try to do too much (i.e. Swiss Army Knife) often times just end up being masters of none. And I’m sure that some could argue we’re trying to do too much. I think Meshwork does a pretty good job in a lot of areas but I’m sure there are some things that could be improved on. But really, with respect to that, what we are trying to do is provide most of the functionality you need to run a coworking space, but still enabling a space to use and integrate with single function tools if they choose.

A good example would be our CRM. Currently, most of the coworking industry doesn’t even really use CRMs to track and follow up with prospective members. So we wanted to provide that ability with Meshwork, but at the same time realize that some people want to stick to the more robust CRMs that they’re used to (e.g. Salesforce, HubSpot, Zoho, etc.) By doing this, we put a fairly simple CRM in the hands of the people that didn’t have one before and we allow the more advanced CRM users to continue on with a system they know. Plus (and perhaps most importantly in my opinion anyway), our CRM kind of acts as one spoke in a hub that you can use to run a coworking space. By running everything through a hub, you aren’t forced to enter the same information in multiple systems and you are able to get analytics on your business in a way that I think using separate systems makes a little harder. Was it absolutely necessary to build a CRM into Meshwork? Nope. Can a space just use Salesforce as their CRM and then use something else for member management? Of course. But would they be able to create prospects out of people doing one-time conference room bookings or people visiting the space just for the day to attend an event? And have their payments for the bookings or events processed and recorded as part of their user history? Or follow up with them and convert them over to full-time members? And have reporting and analytics on all of it in one place? I’m sure it is possible, but in my experience so far, people running coworking spaces don’t have a whole lot of extra time to figure that stuff out.

Alex, I’ve actually been in your space and worked for a day while I was in Philly in February. And you do have a great system put together. And it’s probably super cost effective. Really, I’m in no way even saying don’t piece together more of a custom solution. Before Meshwork I owned a property management company in Atlanta for 7 years and that is exactly what I did. And we’re not really trying to replace that, just offer an alternative for spaces that aren’t as tech savvy as you guys. Anyway, I’m sure we are missing the mark in some ways and perhaps not perfect for everyone, but we’re giving it our best shot and really trying to work with our customers to figure out the most ideal solution for them that we can.

Lol oh yeah, I’m Doug Maschoff, one of the founders of Meshwork.

Happy to chat with anyone directly if they’re interested :slight_smile:

···

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 2:57:05 AM UTC-6, Jeannine van der Linden wrote:

Alex, what do you mean by membership managemnet? What do you want it to do?

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 4:39:22 PM UTC+2, Alex Hillman wrote:

-Alex

Hi All,

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53

Awesome! Thanks for the post. It’s always helpful to hear a testimonial from a space who has used them!

···

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Ehmandah R. [email protected] wrote:

Hi Stacy!

We use MeshWork and love it. It’s fairly new but growing. I dig the features and it works great for my space. I reviewed a few management systems. I just love the connection and community of MeshWork within their team and the management system.

E. Ramsey

www.twoteneast.co

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/VPWwaXn3Mpc/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Stacy Kessler

Owner Operator, Platform 53

513-560-3904

[email protected]

www.platform53.com

I’m so happy to hear Ehmandah! Please let us know if you need anything! And we’re rolling out some cool new stuff soon so we will keep you up to date!

···

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 11:58:15 AM UTC-6, Ehmandah R. wrote:

Hi Stacy!
We use MeshWork and love it. It’s fairly new but growing. I dig the features and it works great for my space. I reviewed a few management systems. I just love the connection and community of MeshWork within their team and the management system.

E. Ramsey
www.twoteneast.co

Hi Stacy,

I am reaching out to you from Bisner - a white label solution for coworking spaces aimed at community building, connectivity and collaboration.

We have actually integrated with Cobot a few months ago to extend their product offering to include a more social side of coworking as well. This means you can continue managing your space in in Cobot while keeping your community members in the Bisner platform. All information and member profiles can easily be pulled from Cobot into Bisner. Almost all the features that you mention above are already available in the Bisner / Cobot combo (the one that is not is currently in development). I would love to walk you through it!

Find more info at:

http://blog.cobot.me/post/143790127397/cobotbisner-partnership

···

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 5:02:46 PM UTC+2, Stacy Kessler wrote:

Hi All,

Stacy Kessler

Platform 53