Amazing article about the impact of leadership on community

If you somehow haven’t checked out New Worker Magazine yet, you need to. It’s the best best best thing to happen to coworking in a long time.

My favorite story this month (the 2nd edition) includes a story written by a member of Les Satellites, a coworking space in Nice, France.

http://newworker.co/mag/coworking-impact-leadership-community/

She talks about joining a coworking space that was “managed” before joining one that was led, and the effect/impact of her desire to stick around.

A++++++ recommend reading RIGHT NOW.

Have an awesome weekend :slight_smile:

-Alex

···

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Reading it over and over is a pure “bonheur”.

Thank you NewWorker for making this happen.

Nicolas Bergé

Les Satellites

A really nice place in Nice, amazing Nicolas and fellow coworkers.

Congratulations for the new BA website and non-profit as well :slight_smile:

All the best to my friends at Les Satellites.

Jeff

AngkorHUB

···

Le dimanche 29 juin 2014 20:53:11 UTC+7, Nicolas Bergé a écrit :

Reading it over and over is a pure “bonheur”.

Thank you NewWorker for making this happen.

Nicolas Bergé

Les Satellites

This article makes me think. What are the abilities of a good leader in a coworking space? In my case I know people like to hang here because I am a positive and smily person I am also very accesible and help them with any thing they need. Sometimes it even becomes a kind of coaching-coworking… What about you guys?

···

El viernes, 27 de junio de 2014 14:07:05 UTC-5, Alex Hillman escribió:

If you somehow haven’t checked out New Worker Magazine yet, you need to. It’s the best best best thing to happen to coworking in a long time.

My favorite story this month (the 2nd edition) includes a story written by a member of Les Satellites, a coworking space in Nice, France.

She talks about joining a coworking space that was “managed” before joining one that was led, and the effect/impact of her desire to stick around.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org

As it goes for me (I’m the co-founder of Creative Centre Poligon, coworking space in Ljubljana, Slovenia), I think the community manager (and therefore informal leader as the article states) needs to be present in space everyday (at all times) and be actively involved in community, i.e. talk with members, organize community lunches, gather them for informal meetings, etc. Basically, manager needs to (with his/hers presence) transform the space into something that is between home and office - it’s all about establishing trust factor (which - as Elodie puts it - allows members to identify other members as ‘‘roommates’’) inside the space, which you can achieve not only by managing the community but also by setting the space right (i.e. self-service bar, fridge with shared food, etc.).

We have opened our space five months ago and have now almost 70 members up to present day. Most of them stay inside the space from morning till night and according to recent survey we made amongst them, they say that they see Poligon not only as working ground/shared office space, but also as a place, where they enjoy spending their time. And when you establish this kind of conditions in your space, spontaneous networking between themselves goes sky high and amazing projects start to arise. But that’s another story.

···

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 15:08:30 UTC+2, Tamara Acosta wrote:

This article makes me think. What are the abilities of a good leader in a coworking space? In my case I know people like to hang here because I am a positive and smily person I am also very accesible and help them with any thing they need. Sometimes it even becomes a kind of coaching-coworking… What about you guys?

El viernes, 27 de junio de 2014 14:07:05 UTC-5, Alex Hillman escribió:

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org

Alex and everyone, I’m really glad to hear that New Worker Magazine is being read and appreciated.

Working with members to create meaningful critiques and new angles for stories is very involving work and it warms my lil coworky heart to know that what we’re doing is providing some value. Thanks.