Youth & coworking

Hi all. I’m new to this group but I’m wondering if any of you are familiar with efforts by coworking spaces to engage high school-aged youth. I’m trying to figure out how to connect high school students to entrepreneurs & startups, and to help them think of possible career choices beyond going to work for someone else.

Are there examples of coworking spaces that make an effort to engage high school students in their events or even have events designed especially for them? Or for teachers and/or youth workers? Are there examples of spaces working closely with high schools in some way? Are there spaces where high school students are invited to work?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

We are launching a space in Boston that will have homework helper tables for students. We are starting with this simple service but believe it will have profound results. (Hopefully) Our belief is that it will make a big difference for them to view a working environment… not a tour, not a one day field trip but a 2-5 day a week experience. We are tribal by nature if not nurture. We no longer can see the roles and responsibilities of others in the tribe to see what we gravitate to during our younger years. No wonder our teens are so freaked out. They have no purview into what the experience of the life as an adult might look like or feel like. They might actually appreciate not being actively involved… let them observe and do their homework which they need to do anyway… Once we are up and running, this summer, we will see if this helps or if we need to engage them more into the tribe. My gut initially says no… they have enough on their plates. Good luck!

~ Janice Caillet

···

On Apr 23, 2014 12:22 PM, “Jeffery Miller” [email protected] wrote:

Hi all. I’m new to this group but I’m wondering if any of you are familiar with efforts by coworking spaces to engage high school-aged youth. I’m trying to figure out how to connect high school students to entrepreneurs & startups, and to help them think of possible career choices beyond going to work for someone else.

Are there examples of coworking spaces that make an effort to engage high school students in their events or even have events designed especially for them? Or for teachers and/or youth workers? Are there examples of spaces working closely with high schools in some way? Are there spaces where high school students are invited to work?

Thanks!

Jeff

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We’ve run programs for grade 8-12 at the space called SPARK - hoping to see it expand to other schools. See links for details. Here’s a post of one session we did with a highscool group
Each company in the space is open to and has taken on highschool and college interns/co-ops.

We also have started a new program called TREPTalks and it’s affiliate program TREPDesk (the TrepDesk can be used by any student)

For any coworking space out there, it’s a great idea to bring students into the space to interact with the member 'treps

The TrepDesk is a great idea to not only increase some revenue for the space but support the next great idea! It’s a win-win-win marketing initiative.

We just launched SimCoLab (Makerspace) and it’s attracting some youth as well.

Chad Ballantyne

ch…@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie’s Coworking Community

Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.

12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3

Memberships start at $25/mth

www.thecreativespace.ca

705-812-0689

···

On Apr 23, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Jeffery Miller [email protected] wrote:

Thanks!

Jeff

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Jeff,

I’m launching a 7-week program for urban teens, Art In Your Space, in New York City with AlleyNYC co-working space, City-As-School, and Eyebeam, an art and technology community based organization.

You can check a short intro video here.

I’d be happy to connect with you or if your in NYC arrange for you to visit our program.

Best,

Benjamin Cramer

Founder - Art In Your Space

···

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:21:28 PM UTC-4, Jeffery Miller wrote:

Thanks!

Jeff

These programs sound amazing. I’m barely scratching the surface at this point, but my goal is to build a community and then open a coworking space in Southfield MI. I really want to have a youth element for my space to allow children to see other opportunities for making a living doing something they love to do, similar to what you wrote about Jeff.

Janice, the tutoring idea is a great idea to give the kids a chance to experience the space. Are your community members providing the tutoring or will someone from outside be helping out?

Chad, the Spark program sounds really great. Did you have to present to the school board or some other entity to develop the program and get the buy in from the school? How have the kids responded to the program?

Benjamin, Your program sounds very intersting as well. I’m not able to watch the video right now, but was wondering, is your program connected with a school too or simply through the community?

I wish you all the best and I’m interested to see how things grow.

Aaron

···

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:46:32 PM UTC-4, bc1…@nyu.edu wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I’m launching a 7-week program for urban teens, Art In Your Space, in New York City with AlleyNYC co-working space, City-As-School, and Eyebeam, an art and technology community based organization.

You can check a short intro video here.

I’d be happy to connect with you or if your in NYC arrange for you to visit our program.

Best,

Benjamin Cramer

Founder - Art In Your Space

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:21:28 PM UTC-4, Jeffery Miller wrote:

Thanks!

Jeff